Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about doing history at uni (I am in year 12 btw) and I have a grade profile of A*A*A*A if all goes well. But i am a bit concerned because due to the courses my teachers over the years have chosen to enter us in for, I have only really studied 'modern' history in depth eg Cold War, Mao's china and the Russian Revolution and so on.

Is anyone doing history at uni? Should I just do wider reading on other periods of history or does it not really matter? Would appreciate some advice.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JEG666)
    I am thinking about doing history at uni (I am in year 12 btw) and I have a grade profile of A*A*A*A if all goes well. But i am a bit concerned because due to the courses my teachers over the years have chosen to enter us in for, I have only really studied 'modern' history in depth eg Cold War, Mao's china and the Russian Revolution and so on.

Is anyone doing history at uni? Should I just do wider reading on other periods of history or does it not really matter? Would appreciate some advice.
    Hey there.:hi:

I'm currently a first year history student (joint honours) and, like you, only really studied modern topics at GCSE and A Level. Yes there are a broader range of periods covered with degree modules, going back to medieval (and you'll find some ancient history modules depending on where you go). If you like modern history and would really like to focus on it, then modules with earlier years can be avoided to an extent, depending on the size of the history department at your university.

If you're thinking about wider reading to include in a personal statement (particularly useful if you apply to somewhere like Cambridge), go with what interests you the most. What topics are you curious to discover more about? You're not expecting to cover the entire history of humanity, or stick to particular countries. If you're really enthusiastic to learn about South African History, or Indian History, or anything really, then go with that.:yep:

If you're thinking about wider reading for your actual A Levels, other periods won't really have much of an impact. Try to look for texts and authors which provide you with another side to the debate (especially for something like the Cold War in Asia).

Those grades look fabulous by the way.:thumbsup:

PM me if you want to learn anything more.

MR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)

I'm currently a first year history student (joint honours) and, like you, only really studied modern topics at GCSE and A Level. Yes there are a broader range of periods covered with degree modules, going back to medieval (and you'll find some ancient history modules depending on where you go). If you like modern history and would really like to focus on it, then modules with earlier years can be avoided to an extent, depending on the size of the history department at your university.

If you're thinking about wider reading to include in a personal statement (particularly useful if you apply to somewhere like Cambridge), go with what interests you the most. What topics are you curious to discover more about? You're not expecting to cover the entire history of humanity, or stick to particular countries. If you're really enthusiastic to learn about South African History, or Indian History, or anything really, then go with that.:yep:

If you're thinking about wider reading for your actual A Levels, other periods won't really have much of an impact. Try to look for texts and authors which provide you with another side to the debate (especially for something like the Cold War in Asia).

MR
    This.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)

MR
    Ah! Thank you so much, that was really helpful. I will try to just focus on the areas I'm most interested in then and I guess that will be more enjoyable too!
    :/ Thanks they are only my predicted grades. I know I'll have to work really hard, but here's hoping.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JEG666)
    Ah! Thank you so much, that was really helpful. I will try to just focus on the areas I'm most interested in then and I guess that will be more enjoyable too!
    :/ Thanks they are only my predicted grades. I know I'll have to work really hard, but here's hoping.
    Sure hope so.

Just try your best, nobody can ever ask any more of you than to try your best (and if anyone does, they are foolsTM).
    :hugs: PMs always open.:yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.