Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, if there's one thing I have fond memories of, it's RPGs like FF and Earthbound. However, I've noticed less and less RPGs appearing on steam and such, and the ones that do appear are forced to be overly complex and break the fourth wall every 5 seconds in order to remain relevant. The rest fade out and die.

So why is this happening more and more? And is it the same around you as well?

ReputationRep:
    I think that the game industry just has other things that are popular right now. I haven’t been keeping up with gaming recently so I’m really out of it, but my guess is that there are Facebook groups or youtubers that like the same kind of games so you can look for some good ones there, my best bet would be on independent developers right now
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just that technology is more powerful today. Why have turn based combat when you can do it real-time now? Why force people to pick an attack from a set of text options when you can control the character in this world directly now?

There are less turn-based RPGs, but action-RPGs are like the default genre for AAA publishers.

The exploration and open-world aspect is still all over the gaming industry though. That will never go away.

ReputationRep:
    Persona 5 has shown that turn based RPGs are still relevant. But yes, there aren't many of them around anymore.

ReputationRep:
    As another has pointed out there seems to be a shift to third/first person action games nowadays. I also love RPG's and I'm quite sad that so few are coming out, I love turn based combat too, but one thing that RPG's require you to do is to invest a lot of time into them which not a lot of people are willing to do, and if they are, then the game has to have 1000+ side quests for you to do otherwise people will complain that it's "not long enough".

Square Enix for example has, for some reason, decided that turn based combat isn't wanted anymore which is why they have moved onto action/real time combat, but that's not my only gripe with them, they have become so bad at storytelling and so focused on visuals (even to the point of cheesy. I wish they would stop with the character posing, "cool" speeches and ridiculous looking characters) that I haven't picked up a new FF game since 13 (and even I couldn't finish that sad excuse for a game).

One factor in the decline in RPG's is the amount of storytelling that's involved, and if you know anything about games design, it's expensive to hire a writer (or team of writers) to write a compelling story with in-depth characters (RPG's more often have 5+ main characters with their own backstories), great narrative that is consistent and a believable world structure so games developers go towards easier and less expensive type of games.

My favourite RPG series of all time is The Legend of Heroes saga; a collection of games made by Nihon-Falcom that overshadow all other games in terms of storytelling, consistency and character development because the story is their main focus when making a game. Their game The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky has more dialogue than the three Lord of the Rings books combined, the NPC's get their own backstories that play out even when you haven't viewed them (so when you missed the events unfold via a cutscene you will hear about it from the other NPC's who were there) and the main characters are incredibly well written with their weaknesses, strengths and insecurities. Estelle is best girl and the best protagonist I've known in a game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAngely)
    As another has pointed out there seems to be a shift to third/first person action games nowadays. I also love RPG's and I'm quite sad that so few are coming out, I love turn based combat too, but one thing that RPG's require you to do is to invest a lot of time into them which not a lot of people are willing to do, and if they are, then the game has to have 1000+ side quests for you to do otherwise people will complain that it's "not long enough".

Square Enix for example has, for some reason, decided that turn based combat isn't wanted anymore which is why they have moved onto action/real time combat, but that's not my only gripe with them, they have become so bad at storytelling and so focused on visuals (even to the point of cheesy. I wish they would stop with the character posing, "cool" speeches and ridiculous looking characters) that I haven't picked up a new FF game since 13 (and even I couldn't finish that sad excuse for a game).

One factor in the decline in RPG's is the amount of storytelling that's involved, and if you know anything about games design, it's expensive to hire a writer (or team of writers) to write a compelling story with in-depth characters (RPG's more often have 5+ main characters with their own backstories), great narrative that is consistent and a believable world structure so games developers go towards easier and less expensive type of games.

My favourite RPG series of all time is The Legend of Heroes saga; a collection of games made by Nihon-Falcom that overshadow all other games in terms of storytelling, consistency and character development because the story is their main focus when making a game. Their game The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky has more dialogue than the three Lord of the Rings books combined, the NPC's get their own backstories that play out even when you haven't viewed them (so when you missed the events unfold via a cutscene you will hear about it from the other NPC's who were there) and the main characters are incredibly well written with their weaknesses, strengths and insecurities. Estelle is best girl and the best protagonist I've known in a game.
    There has been a sort of resurgence of good RPG games lately with Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, Ni No Kuni, and Ys VIII among others. I'm having lots of fun playing through Persona 4 Golden on my Vita and it's brought back great memories of playing the older Final Fantasy games when I was a kid..

I think I have to agree with the direction Square Enix has taken with Final Fantasy. I was incredibly hyped for FF13 back in 2009 and so was everyone else but the anti-hype afterwards was so bad that I ended up not getting the game anyway. I'm quite worried for the FF7 remake since there won't be turn based combat like in the original. I don't want them botch the game that I grew up with.

Also funny you mention The Legend of Heroes. I've ordered Trails of Cold Steel and cannot wait to play it once I'm done with Persona 4. If I like it, I will be playing the Trails in the Sky trilogy.

Also since I can't praise it enough, Persona 5 has been a revelation for me. It has been a long time since a game has recreated the magic that I felt playing through Dragon Age Origins all the way back in 2010.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 12, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.