Turn on thread page Beta

Getting it together - A Grow your Grades blog watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’m a year 12 college student and I suffer from a terrible condition called laziness. I really struggle to find motivation to do all the stuff I have to do to have good grades. I’m currently studying A-Level Psychology, Law and Fine Art. Pretty hefty subjects, right? For GCSE’s I somehow managed to pass all my subjects, including an 8 in English Literature (A* in old money) by doing the absolute minimum for one and a half years then cramming everything at the last minute. How did this affect me? Terribly. We’re talking next to nothing sleep, crying at IKEA adverts due to emotions being all over the place and ridiculous amounts of binge eating and drinking.

I want to take part in Grow Your Grades because I feel like it might help me get myself in shape as 3 A-Levels are already proving to be insanely more difficult than 10 GCSEs (who’d of thought?!).

So my current grades? Oh dearie me. I guess I better get this out the way...

Psychology: B/C
    Law: D
    Fine Art: B

As you can see, I am really quite awful at Law. There’s just so much content to learn in such a short time. I’ve discovered my main problem is the cases and principles I need to know. To address this issue, I’m going to be logging my progress in revision and what I’ve found works best to keep all this info in my laziness-diseased brain. Will it be a struggle? Yes. Will I end up mentally breaking down in the library over colour coordination of my notes (again) ? Most probably. But will it do me a whole lotta good? Most definitely.

That’s all for now, I’ll update on the situation when I get stuck into it tomorrow.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i hope you're doing okay now what are you thinking of studying at uni?

ReputationRep:
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys I’m thinking of studying psychology as criminal psychology really interests me, probably because I’ve watched way too many crime series over the years hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurenstaa)
    Thanks guys I’m thinking of studying psychology as criminal psychology really interests me, probably because I’ve watched way too many crime series over the years hahaha
    Good Luck

I was just wondering what psychology A-Level is like. What do you study? and what’s the exam like as well as difficulty.

Thank You.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam.T.)
    Good Luck

I was just wondering what psychology A-Level is like. What do you study? and what’s the exam like as well as difficulty.

Thank You.
    I find it really interesting. My exam board is OCR and the end of week assessments every few weeks we do aren’t too tragic, obviously some questions are harder than others but my teacher has spent lessons telling us how to answer the questions EXACTLY how the examiners want us to. So far we’ve studied research methods e.g. experiments, observations, self reports etc and we’re currently looking at the components of psychology through core studies such as the biological, cognitive and social areas and different experiments and observations that have shaped these areas, like the Milgram experiment. I think if you have a real interest in people’s behaviours and why we behave certain ways it’ll be right up your street

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’m a year 12 college student and I suffer from a terrible condition called laziness. I really struggle to find motivation to do all the stuff I have to do to have good grades. I’m currently studying A-Level Psychology, Law and Fine Art. Pretty hefty subjects, right? For GCSE’s I somehow managed to pass all my subjects, including an 8 in English Literature (A* in old money) by doing the absolute minimum for one and a half years then cramming everything at the last minute. How did this affect me? Terribly. We’re talking next to nothing sleep, crying at IKEA adverts due to emotions being all over the place and ridiculous amounts of binge eating and drinking.

I want to take part in Grow Your Grades because I feel like it might help me get myself in shape as 3 A-Levels are already proving to be insanely more difficult than 10 GCSEs (who’d of thought?!).

So my current grades? Oh dearie me. I guess I better get this out the way...

Psychology: B/C
    Law: D
    Fine Art: B

As you can see, I am really quite awful at Law. There’s just so much content to learn in such a short time. I’ve discovered my main problem is the cases and principles I need to know. To address this issue, I’m going to be logging my progress in revision and what I’ve found works best to keep all this info in my laziness-diseased brain. Will it be a struggle? Yes. Will I end up mentally breaking down in the library over colour coordination of my notes (again) ? Most probably. But will it do me a whole lotta good? Most definitely.

That’s all for now, I’ll update on the situation when I get stuck into it tomorrow.
    i feel you. im in my first year as well and i take bio chem and goegraphy. i know wth. im lazy. i hope it gets better for you. im not the timetable type. i have a rough sort of plan for the day and try to revise for 3+ hours everyday. funnily enough im acc procrastinating rn. so imma head back. make sure to update on revision. i type up my notes. most of them. good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlyingHippogriff)
    i feel you. im in my first year as well and i take bio chem and goegraphy. i know wth. im lazy. i hope it gets better for you. im not the timetable type. i have a rough sort of plan for the day and try to revise for 3+ hours everyday. funnily enough im acc procrastinating rn. so imma head back. make sure to update on revision. i type up my notes. most of them. good luck.
    bio and chem? You poor kiddo, I don’t think I’d survive. My college gave everyone in the sixth form a lecture about how we’re meant to be doing 4 hours extra a week per subject, to which I wanted to scream hell noooo. Good luck with revision!

ReputationRep:
    I DON'T LIKE MONDAYS (Cue The Boomtown Rats song)

Today was my first day back after half term and boy did I not miss college one bit. I've nearly nailed my art teacher's thumb to the wall (exhibition day) and had to give a mini speech about my final piece. My final piece was based on chemical reactions in the human body, more specifically, recreational drugs. I did a lot of reading up about synapses and personal stories online and made an artistic interpretation of the two drugs MDMA and LSD. I've tried inserting a picture of it but TSR is just saying 'something went wrong try reloading the page'

On top of that, I have spent two hours of my free periods today writing about Law to the point I might scream if someone mentions Judicial Precedent.

I found out today that I have an assessment coming up in Law next Friday which, of course, I didn't know about because I missed the last lesson due to being on a plane to Tenerife, so now I have even more revision to do.

Oh, and did I mention I have about 7 mind maps and copious amounts of flashcards due Wednesday for Psychology? I cannot put into words the stress I am feeling right now.

Hope everyone's day is going good!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  890E70D4-11FA-425A-9170-4B75D8A54E26.jpg.jpeg
Views: 31
Size:  29.1 KB

Here’s a picture of my final pieces, I’ve managed to upload it from my phone!

Also here’s a photo of a meerkat that sat on my lap in Tenerife to bless your feed.

Name:  F81E219E-2C3A-4413-9213-90DE4C08CC55.jpg.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  29.2 KB

ReputationRep:

20th February

What a day. I am absolutely knackered. I've been up since 6 and got back at 5:30. Today I finished my great big mind map for psychology and completed a stack load of flash cards for my homework and I'm not even halfway, wanna know the best part?

Spoiler:
    Show

IT'S ALL DUE IN TOMORROW!

I also need to revise everything we've done so far for Law except non-fatal offences against a person because we only started that today (which I'm very thankful for because that is already confusing me).

I'm just gonna take it easy for tonight as I've been work my a** off all day. This is the first time today I've been able to sit and take a breather.

Catch you guys tomorrow!

Attachment 726542

Attachment 726544
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    ooh, what a cute meerkat!
    make sure you don't overwork yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    ooh, what a cute meerkat!
    make sure you don't overwork yourself
    Trying not to but I have soo many exams and assessments coming up and it’s getting really tough to stay on top of it all! :O
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Trying not to but I have soo many exams and assessments coming up and it’s getting really tough to stay on top of it all! :O
    organisation is key that being said, i'm barely organised myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    organisation is key that being said, i'm barely organised myself
    I can’t organise to save my life! I’ll try to but then I think I try too much then it gets too hard to keep it all going and then I give up😂

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.