Turn on thread page Beta

University of Leicester. Is it considered as a strong, reputable institution for law? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know rankings aren't the only place to be basing university choices on, however Leicester seems to be 21st/22nd on the CUG for law which is better than quite a few RG's. Would going to Leicester impact my chances as it's not RG? Is Leicester in the same band as ex poly's or is it with like the likes of Liverpool and bmham etc? Also why didn't Leicester join RG I'm sure a lot of the 1994 group joined so why not?? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing is although it is good for law ,if people are going to go for a job with a better university on there they are more likely to get the job. Most employers always look for RH. All degrees take the same amount of effort to get whether it’s from Oxford or a small town university it’s just the Access grades which are much higher which is what makes the difference between a higher credited degree, unfortunately 😞
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophiexlouise)
    The only thing is although it is good for law ,if people are going to go for a job with a better university on there they are more likely to get the job. Most employers always look for RH. All degrees take the same amount of effort to get whether it’s from Oxford or a small town university it’s just the Access grades which are much higher which is what makes the difference between a higher credited degree, unfortunately 😞
    Thanks for the reply.
    Leicester is my back up choice incase I don't get the 3 A grades for the firm RG I'm hoping to get into. But I'm very sure that I'm going to be going onto studying for an llm. Would a good 2:1 or a first from Leicester allow me to get into a RG for an llm?

ReputationRep:
    Yes definitely! A 2:1 from any uni would be enough to get into a RG for an llm, even one of the really good ones!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nabz99)
    Would a good 2:1 or a first from Leicester allow me to get into a RG for an llm?
    Yes. It would. That's all you need to know on that front.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Yes. It would. That's all you need to know on that front.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Most employers are not always going to look for RG, or the "better university". Indeed, Leicester is comparable to Birmingham for law.

The effort it takes to complete a degree is not the same. Degrees are not like GCSEs or A-Levels where everyone in the country might be sitting the same exam, or marked with the same harshness. At degree, both these things differ.

ReputationRep:
    If you get a First/2:1, do good things outside your degree (scholarships, study abroad, positions in societies, internships, etc.), then you'll have a good chance at getting interviews at good firms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Most employers are not always going to look for RG, or the "better university". Indeed, Leicester is comparable to Birmingham for law.

The effort it takes to complete a degree is not the same. Degrees are not like GCSEs or A-Levels where everyone in the country might be sitting the same exam, or marked with the same harshness. At degree, both these things differ.
    Someone I know has a degree from Leicester and Huddersfield. When people look at his degrees they always question why he attended Leicester but when looking at his Huddersfield qualification never question. He always puts his Huddersfield degree first as employers as much as they don’t say it would usually always go for the RG uni degrees because why wouldn’t you? I agree it differs when it comes to interviews etc but when looking at it on paper it’s usually credited more.

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know has a degree from Leicester and Huddersfield. When people look at his degrees they always question why he attended Leicester but when looking at his Huddersfield qualification never question. He always puts his Huddersfield degree first as employers as much as they don’t say it would usually always go for the RG uni degrees because why wouldn’t you? I agree it differs when it comes to interviews etc but when looking at it on paper it’s usually credited more.
    Why would someone put a Huddersfield qualification at the top if employers go for the RG uni? (assuming that employers even know that Leicester isn't an RG)

ReputationRep:
    And when my Asian mate goes for TC interviews, they always discriminate against him because he's not white. Everyone has their reason for not succeeding, but often they do not comport with reality.

ReputationRep:
    Why would someone put a Huddersfield qualification at the top if employers go for the RG uni? (assuming that employers even know that Leicester isn't an RG)
    I read it 14 times and I am none the wiser.

OHHHH. That poster thinks Huddersfield is RG.

ReputationRep:
    My bad I meant Sheffield not Huddersfield !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    I read it 14 times and I am none the wiser.

OHHHH. That poster thinks Huddersfield is RG.
    I literally thought the same thing, but was like "no they can't be that ignorant". I could understand the story if H and L were reversed, and it was Leicester being paraded around, because then we'd have a much more believable claim as to employer ignorance.

Either way, given that even the amended version of the story is incorrect (Leicester isn't an RG), I think that we can treat that post like the trash it is.

ReputationRep:
    My bad I meant Sheffield not Huddersfield !
    ok

still not sure about the reputational difference between the lowliest RG and one of the best non-RGs for law

in which case I'll refer you back to post #11

ReputationRep:
    Ok

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.