Turn on thread page Beta

Nottingham Vet Med - extra degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how much of an advantage it was having an additional degree - BVMedSci - alongside the normal vet degree?

I know Nottingham gives you this degree after 3rd year, so when deciding between vet schools, I wondered how important this is to employers?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is important to employers at all (as long as you are talking veterinary practice as that is what I know). The main advantage is if decide you don't in fact want to do veterinary medicine after all you can leave Nottingham after 3 years and still have a degree to your name.

(Original post by GreenDucks)
    I was wondering how much of an advantage it was having an additional degree - BVMedSci - alongside the normal vet degree?

I know Nottingham gives you this degree after 3rd year, so when deciding between vet schools, I wondered how important this is to employers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalmagic)
    I don't think it is important to employers at all (as long as you are talking veterinary practice as that is what I know). The main advantage is if decide you don't in fact want to do veterinary medicine after all you can leave Nottingham after 3 years and still have a degree to your name.
    That's good to know thanks! So I wouldn't be at a disadvantage unless I decided to go into something else like research?

ReputationRep:
    No, definitely not disadvantaged for finding a job in practice.

(Original post by GreenDucks)
    That's good to know thanks! So I wouldn't be at a disadvantage unless I decided to go into something else like research?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Just a note to say that the degree despite dropping out isn't necessarily specific to Nottingham. It very much depends on individual circumstances but for example RVC have given a 'Certificate of Higher Education in Pre-Clinical Veterinary Sciences' to people who drop out after second year. I think all universities would be keen to try and ensure that you get something out of your time at university despite choosing not to continue.

ReputationRep:
    Mum of final year Nottingham vet student here. I don't think her degree will make any difference to her (apart from it was lovely having a graduation at the end of 3rd year lol and they were all very pleased with themselves). However, for those who decided a vet career wasn't for them after all, it meant they had a degree to show for their 3 years at uni. She has put it on her CV (having a first can't hurt!) and has mentioned what her research project was and what she gained from doing it. They all seemed to do very different types of research - some lab based, but others more "practical".

She's loved it there and is pleased she chose Nottingham, but quite honestly she just wanted to be a vet and wife been happy anywhere I'm sure!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.