Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am doing business management in September and wanted to know about the classroom situation. Of course I intend to try and make friends during University, and since I won't be living at my University, I was wondering what the classroom environment is like and if it encourages making friends?

My worry is that all the sessions will be through a lecture, and I'd find it somewhat hard to meet people since it's hard to strike a conversation when the room is silent and the lecturer is giving a lecture.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r_username)
    Hi, I am doing business management in September and wanted to know about the classroom situation. Of course I intend to try and make friends during University, and since I won't be living at my University, I was wondering what the classroom environment is like and if it encourages making friends?

My worry is that all the sessions will be through a lecture, and I'd find it somewhat hard to meet people since it's hard to strike a conversation when the room is silent and the lecturer is giving a lecture.

Thanks
    Which university???
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    It doesn't matter what course you are on or what university you attend. Lots of students in my class don't live at uni and we all get along just fine. We age range from 18years- 30- 40 and I am nearly 70. We have lectures yes, where you are expected to listen/take notes etc, but you will have seminars where you will work together presumably and you can make friends that way. You could also join some of the Societies at uni.
    Try not to worry too much about it. I am sure you will be just fine. X
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Thanks
    Hey!

I am in my second year at the University of Bath and I study Management. In my experience, in first year, there was a lot of group work and we were allocated groups which meant I got to meet a lot of people on the course without having to worry about who to be in a group with! With group work, you spend a lot of time in group meetings and if you do well, it can be a real bonding experience!

In terms of lectures, there is less opportunity to speak to people, but I remember when I first started, I just chatted to whoever I was sitting next to - you have nothing to lose! Remember, most people won't know anyone so you're all in the same boat - most likely, the person next to you will be relieved that you started a conversation!

Something really simple to do in a lecture and a seminar is to sit next to someone rather than leaving a chair between - this makes you look much more willing to make friends!

If you have any more questions, just quote me!

Alice
    2nd Year Management

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Bath)
    Hey!

I am in my second year at the University of Bath and I study Management. In my experience, in first year, there was a lot of group work and we were allocated groups which meant I got to meet a lot of people on the course without having to worry about who to be in a group with! With group work, you spend a lot of time in group meetings and if you do well, it can be a real bonding experience!

In terms of lectures, there is less opportunity to speak to people, but I remember when I first started, I just chatted to whoever I was sitting next to - you have nothing to lose! Remember, most people won't know anyone so you're all in the same boat - most likely, the person next to you will be relieved that you started a conversation!

Something really simple to do in a lecture and a seminar is to sit next to someone rather than leaving a chair between - this makes you look much more willing to make friends!

If you have any more questions, just quote me!

Alice
    2nd Year Management
    Thanks! This helped a bunch

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.