Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know its months until September, but right now my scores a bad and im guessing most of the answers. the main thing i struggle with is the timing. i have a disability which means i don't process information a quickly as most people which is something im really worried about.
    Are there any really good courses out there, ones which genuinely helped you get a better score?
    Or any free alternatives (good books, clips , websites etc.)?

ReputationRep:
    I’m applying this year as well and the piece of advice people keep giving me is to practise - so I am just getting my hands on as many question books as possible. I wasn’t planning on starting proper practise until six/eight weeks before so you’re definitely ahead of the game! I’ve also heard that medify is good to sign up for a couple of weeks before. Also, if you are entitled to extra time, the UKCAT takes that into account and gives you longer - so that might be something to look into
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I've done it twice got around 760 the first time and 770 the second time. Used just the 1250 question book the first time, used medify and the book the second time.

For VR, I would skim the passage really quickly just to get the gist of what information is where, then I would read the questions. It was my worst scoring section both times and I think it is for most people. As it's super early I think you could actually be able to improve your reading speed quite a bit before the UKCAT, but i didn't bother with that.

AR is the section where I think you benefit most from the practice. I did well in this section because I recognised a lot of patterns from practice questions that I had done, make sure that you do all the official ukcat mock tests and remember each AR pattern from the mocks! I got at least 3 patterns which were identical to ones in the official mocks.

QR isn't difficult for the most part and was my best section, it is very possible to get max or close to max marks in this section. Just remember to time yourself as that is the main issue, the maths itself is easy. Practice using the num pad for calculations, it's a lot faster than clicking the calculator with your mouse.

DM is the section where you'll want to make use of your whiteboard, draw diagrams to help you understand questions and lay out the information easily, like the other sections be quick and efficient with these diagrams.

SJT, not much advice to give for this, compared to the others you will feel like you have an infinite amount of time for these questions.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredguy19)
    I've done it twice got around 760 the first time and 770 the second time. Used just the 1250 question book the first time, used medify and the book the second time.

For VR, I would skim the passage really quickly just to get the gist of what information is where, then I would read the questions. It was my worst scoring section both times and I think it is for most people. As it's super early I think you could actually be able to improve your reading speed quite a bit before the UKCAT, but i didn't bother with that.

AR is the section where I think you benefit most from the practice. I did well in this section because I recognised a lot of patterns from practice questions that I had done, make sure that you do all the official ukcat mock tests and remember each AR pattern from the mocks! I got at least 3 patterns which were identical to ones in the official mocks.

QR isn't difficult for the most part and was my best section, it is very possible to get max or close to max marks in this section. Just remember to time yourself as that is the main issue, the maths itself is easy. Practice using the num pad for calculations, it's a lot faster than clicking the calculator with your mouse.

DM is the section where you'll want to make use of your whiteboard, draw diagrams to help you understand questions and lay out the information easily, like the other sections be quick and efficient with these diagrams.

SJT, not much advice to give for this, compared to the others you will feel like you have an infinite amount of time for these questions.

Good luck.
    Thank you so much! Congrats on your scores by the way they’re amazing! Did you get into med school in the end?

ReputationRep:
    You will never be guaranteed a good score on the UKCAT no matter what you do. The best advice i can give is to practice untimed sessions now just so you get a feel for the exam. Don’t jump into timed questions straight away. You only need about 2 weeks of UKCAT practice, there is such a thing as “overdoing” it.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a disability, you can apply for extra time for the UKCAT, I believe it's called UKCATSEN or something like that. With regards to improving your score, I agree with HateOCR. You might want to consider getting the UKCAT book which was quite useful for practice. I would move against paying lots of money for study sessions that go above £100 etc because that in no way guarantees you a good mark and people have failed despite them - but obviously whether they're worth it is up to you.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi rainbowcat,

It's a little bit early to start preparing for the UKCAT! As people have said, you only need about 6 weeks to prepare. Any more and you may risk running out of questions to practice with!

However, if you would like to start preparing, we have a free UKCAT Question Bank which you might find useful.

There are also some top tips from a student who sat the UKCATSEN. This is a version of the test for those entitled to extra time. Hopefully this will be helpful for understanding how to tackle the questions, while being mindful of how you process information.

If you are (or feel you should be) entitled to extra time in your exams, it's definitely worth looking into UKCAT access arrangements, such as the UKCATSEN, to make your test work for you.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    The Medic Portal

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 21, 2018

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.