Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dating someone Younger than myself watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I’ve being seeing someone that is younger than myself now for a bit of time.and recently when we were out together we got some strange looks..how do other people think about dating someone older than themselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bermo333)
    I’ve being seeing someone that is younger than myself now for a bit of time.and recently when we were out together we got some strange looks..how do other people think about dating someone older than themselves
    Who cares what other people think?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    That depends. How old are you and how old is your partner?

ReputationRep:
    well that’s irreverent to the question..as a general is it acceptable in today’s society
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    well that’s irreverent to the question..as a general is it acceptable in today’s society
    If your partner is under 16 then it's not acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    are you a male or female?

and by how many years younger is your partner?

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    How would you feel about a 16 year old and an 18 year old being together? Never really cared to ask anyone before because to me it seemed pretty normal :l Age difference is pretty much exactly 2 years (she turns 17 a day before I turn 19)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Relevant username.

What if OP is under 18 themselves?

(Original post by King Arthur 284)
    Who cares what other people think?
    Literally everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
    Literally everyone.
    Then my advice to ‘literally everyone’. Is that life too short. Do what makes you happy, don’t care what others think. And enjoy your life to the fullest.

ReputationRep:
    You better not be pulling a Jimmy saville boy

ReputationRep:
    Then my advice to ‘literally everyone’. Is that life too short. Do what makes you happy, don’t care what others think. And enjoy your life to the fullest.
    There are some very practical reasons for one to care about what others think. But besides (and probably due to that reason), humans can't make themselves not care what others think (although they may like to convince others that they don't care what they think), and simply telling every person seeking advise to not care about it is unhelpful.

ReputationRep:
    There are some very practical reasons for one to care about what others think. But besides (and probably due to that reason), humans can't make themselves not care what others think (although they may like to convince others that they don't care what they think), and simply telling every person seeking advise to not care about it is unhelpful.
    There’s a trend between successful people and not successful people. And one of the key indicators is that successful people don’t care what others think. They naysayers and they haters. It doesn’t matter.

ReputationRep:
    Well I have dated older men in the past so naturally i am fine with it. yeah at times I got the odd stare here and there too, even when we were just walking together. the worst thing that happened was when some surveyor stopped to ask us questions and assumed i was his daughter haha he then pulled a sort of surprised-but-disgusted face when we told him that no, we are dating lol but whatever, we didn't care enough to let it affect us. everyones got their own tastes and types, you either do whatever makes you happy or live a life of misery just to keep everyone else in the world (who you don't know or care about) happy. theres nothing wrong with it so long as both are over the legal age and consenting

ReputationRep:
    There’s a trend between successful people and not successful people. And one of the key indicators is that successful people don’t care what others think. They naysayers and they haters. It doesn’t matter.
    Well true, psychopaths are over-represented in top positions such as CEO. But you can't just hand out advise to people assuming they are in the ~1% of people who are psychopaths.

ReputationRep:
    Well true, psychopaths are over-represented in top positions such as CEO. But you can't just hand out advise to people assuming they are in the ~1% of people who are psychopaths.
    Ahaha funny how you think all the top 1 percent of people are psychopaths.

ReputationRep:
    Just look at the Facebook guy. If he listened to everyone telling him to finish his degree at Harvard and no fulfilling his dream of the webpage. There would be no Facebook today. He was a uni student. How is he a psychopath?

ReputationRep:
    Ahaha funny how you think all the top 1 percent of people are psychopaths.
    Ahaha funny how you think that is what I said.

Just look at the Facebook guy. If he listened to everyone telling him to finish his degree at Harvard and no fulfilling his dream of the webpage. There would be no Facebook today. He was a uni student. How is he a psychopath?
    Zuckerberg is one of the worst examples you could have chosen...

Facebook grew out of a system he made in Uni for rating images of people. He called his users "dumb ****s" for trusting him with their info. He doesn't seem to know how to act natural. So yeah, the Zuck might well be a psychopath.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, it can matter what other people think. It very much depends on quite a few things - age or underage for one. You haven't given very much information to elicit much in the way of response. It's all very well for some to say it doesn't matter what people think, but we do have social norms/laws and what is acceptable.
    I married my first husband when I was just 23 and he was 44. That was back in 1971 but I thinksuch things are much more acceptable nowadays. It was frowned on then but we were both old enough. He died of Motor Neurone Disease when we hadn't been married long.

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, I would be very wary of taking any advice from you. Someone who lies and says they have a Masters in Economics when in actual fact they are an Access student and have never been to university would make me question the sincerity of your 'advice'.

ReputationRep:
    If both of you are adults, then it's fine. Worrying about what other people think is futile.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.