The Student Room Group

Did your school ever address mental health issues

I have been going to the same school for many years and not once did they ever raise awareness for mental issues or mention it let alone provide any sort of support.How about your school?Does your school provide any support for mental health issues?

Scroll to see replies

They did a bit. We had support workers and occasionally there would be a talk but not much really.
They didn’t give a ****.
We had one lesson in citizenship or whatever it's called, where we were told about a guy who went to our school who suffered psychosis. The students just laughed because he would talk to pigeons. That was it. *shrug*
Reply 4
Original post by Noodlzzz
We had one lesson in citizenship or whatever it's called, where we were told about a guy who went to our school who suffered psychosis. The students just laughed because he would talk to pigeons. That was it. *shrug*

When looking at people who overcame difficulties the health examples would always be physical health.It is like mental illness does not exist.
No.
As far as my school was concerned, mental health just didn't exist and any talk of it supposedly existing took away precious time from funnelling as many people into Oxbridge or top London uni to do STEM as nothing else mattered. So glad I survived.......albeit barely
We had one talk about it when we were around 12-13 - that was it.

I've never really paid much attention to the support they provide (I'm not one for asking for support from people I know) but I believe they don't have much in the way of support at my school either.

Which, for the record, I think is shocking!!
They said a ew things about it - had 1 or 2 assemblies but nothing much
Reply 9
Nothing that I remember. I wish schools did more for it since it's such a big issue and one that's easy missed our misunderstood.
If you think they should then why not try bringing it up with the head teacher and asking if they could do an assembly or PSHCE lesson on it? Maybe you could see if charities like mind, sane or Samaritans will come in and do a talk on it.
Talking that initiative would look good on a college application or something and could well make a difference to somebody's life. Worst that can happen is your school say no. :smile:
no, never.
My school never did but I live in hope that 10 years on, things would be a lot different there and that mental health would be mentioned somewhere (albeit probably not as much as I'd want!) :moon:
No, nothing. I left school 7 years ago though so I hope things have changed.
I can't stand our safeguarding head. She's so unhelpful.
Reply 14
A couple of assemblies maybe. We have a 'pastoral team' but I found all but one of them unapproachable and most of the time they made me feel like sht.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by luna21
A couple of assemblies maybe. We have a 'pastoral team' but I found all but one of them approachable and most of the time they made me feel like sht.

Please elaborate.
Meh? I mean I remember like 2 assemblies or something and there is a pastoral team (like a poster above) but they're judgemental as **** so there was no point.All our school cares about his making sure we get as many A*s as we can so they can brag about it on their website and going to the Russell Group unis.
My school has addressed mental health quite a bit. We've had assemblies and citizenship lessons. We also have a professional counselor. We have had bake sales for a charity called the Hillingdon Mind Charity for years. Also we have had talk from charities such as Samaritans.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Neesaaaa
My school has addressed mental health quite a bit. We've had assemblies and citizenship lessons. We also have a professional counselor. We have had bake sales for a charity called the Hillingdon Mind Charity for years. Also we have had talk from charities such as Samaritans.

Wow I am very impressed this is so much better than my school which never even mentioned the issue let alone do anything about it.
Original post by Anonymous
Wow I am very impressed this is so much better than my school which never even mentioned the issue let alone do anything about it.

Yeah I guess in that sense my school is pretty good. But we still can't afford to colour print lol.

Quick Reply

Latest