Did your school ever address mental health issues watch

• TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Not a single time was it ever bought up in high school or sixth form. Not in assemblies, citizenship lessons... nothing :dontknow:

Once a teacher made a ''''joke'''' that students should kill themselves if they do as badly in their real exams as they did in their mocks, but despite complaints from students I don't believe this was ever addressed.

My university make a big deal about it though. It felt almost like overkill, after coming from a place that offered 0 help or support or even information.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Not a single time was it ever bought up in high school or sixth form. Not in assemblies, citizenship lessons... nothing :dontknow:

Once a teacher made a ''''joke'''' that students should kill themselves if they do as badly in their real exams as they did in their mocks, but despite complaints from students I don't believe this was ever addressed.

My university make a big deal about it though. It felt almost like overkill, after coming from a place that offered 0 help or support or even information.
    Out of interest which uni was this? UCL were pretty hopeless.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Out of interest which uni was this? UCL were pretty hopeless.
    RVC.

Mental health problems are very prevalent in the veterinary community which is probably why they make a big deal about it, but it is disappointing to hear that other prestigious universities like UCL do so poorly at this.

ReputationRep:
    We had school counsellors (trained adults) who were really helpful, we had a few assemblies addressing bullying, depression, feeling left out, stress, anxiety, etc. But they made it clear we had people to talk to if needed just so we knew we had someone to talk to, someone who understood and the option to make other teachers aware of what you might be going through so they can accommodate around certain things like maybe giving you extra support with studying or not getting angry with you in class if your mind isn't 100% there.

ReputationRep:
    nothing - appaulling. very poor mental health support too.

(Original post by princesshan)
    nothing - appaulling. very poor mental health support too.
    I have been struggling with Aspergers and depression despite my parents and psychologist emailing the school multiple times the school failed to provide any support.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Nope they didn't have a clue what to do with me and kicked me out the first chance they got. On the plus side they re-wrote and re-evaluated their entire support policies because of me. So although they were useless for me, one positive came out of it that probably benefited other students.

University was good, I remember emailing my personal tutor telling her I was really struggling and she was brilliant. Not only helped me herself but put me in touch with plenty of people. All was going well until I found out that my counselor was related to one of my housemates. They had a family party and added each other on Facebook, next meeting she's saying "oh do you know X". No way could I continue after that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please elaborate.
    i went through a really bad time last year, and the pastoral head was always hard to talk to/really condescending. the head of year i felt i could talk to mainly because i’ve known him since i started the school four years ago. but even then, it was all a bit unsupportive and most of the time i was made to feel like it was my own fault i was ill

Yes. Our school puts a huge emphasis on mental health. We have a school counsellor who keeps all information private (only informs parents if your life is at risk) We also have certain days every couple of months where teachers talk about their own personal experiences with depression, anxiety, eating disorders etc or provide presentations and workshops. Our school also starts later than others because they seemed to believe the research that brains function better at a slightly later time of day.
    But yeah, I guess you could say they address mental health a lot.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Sometimes a teacher will quickly mention that if you're anxious you can talk to them. Depression has been glanced over as well.
    However, as I believe is the case with most schools, more unknown mental illnesses are never mentioned, especially personality disorders. Schizoid, paranoid, a proper explanation of aspergers. These problems are not exclusive to psychology and schools should be preparing people for as wide a plethora of situations as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Not once.

I almost got kicked out because of symptoms of emerging mental health problems when I was 17. They didn't want to help at all.

ReputationRep:
    I have been going to the same school for many years and not once did they ever raise awareness for mental issues or mention it let alone provide any sort of support.How about your school?Does your school provide any support for mental health issues?
    Mental health was never discussed at all. It was completely overlooked, which is a complete shame because it affects everyone and can seriously affect your studies.

I find universities can be a lot lot better with regard to mental health. However, you could argue that arriving at university with mental health problems is not a good idea but sadly schools are not quite as good at acknowledging mental health.

ReputationRep:
    All the time, we even had meditation sessions about a year ago, and now have regular assemblies on addiction, anxiety, suicide, depression etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    I have been going to the same school for many years and not once did they ever raise awareness for mental issues or mention it let alone provide any sort of support.How about your school?Does your school provide any support for mental health issues?
    My school didn't have the money to provide toilet paper.

Mines ****. It’s all ‘mindfulness is the cure for everything’.
    I have severe depression and anxiety and the school was horrible about it and as a result I’m leaving. I’m a straight A* student, I was struggling for years and kept asking for help but I was ignored. Eventually it all toppled over and I finally got the referral I needed. My attendance was always nearly perfect (I missed a few days over the years because of allergic reactions, swine flu and scarlet fever) but even when I was really physically ill I’d beg my mum to take me. When my MIs got unbearably bad my attendance plummeted to just over 50% for months. No one did or said anything. I was left to catch up alone, refused access to school MH services and no one even check if I was ok alothugh I clearly wasn’t. Don’t really think it could have been much worse....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.