A Cable-Stayed Bridge has cable made up of 2000 wires, a critical number have been found to have micro-fractures which reduces the cross-sectional surface area of a wire to 2.3 x 10-7 m2. If the Design Safety Factors are exceeded the Cable will have to be replaced.
• Ultimate Tension Strength: 2000 MPa
• Ultimate Shear Strength: 1300 MPa
• Design Tension Factor of Safety: 5
• Design Shear Factor of Safety: 7
• Cable Tension Force: 186kN
The angle of the fracture is 63 degrees
Q1. Calculate Shear Stress component on the Micro-fracture in 1 wire.
Q2. Calculate its Operational Factor of Safety for Shear Stress
Q3. Calculate Tension Stress component on the Micro-fracture in 1 wire.
Q4. Calculate its Operational Factor of Safety for Tension Stress
...we were on a break