Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a year 2 studying maths, further maths, physics and German. Clearly I was originally planning on doing a maths or engineering degree at uni, and I've applied for mech eng and have all my offers. But lately I've been thinking that I'd love to keep learning German and learn other languages too, and maybe work as a translator or interpreter. I still want to go to uni but I don't want to study languages as from what I've seen it's a lot of writing essays about literature which is something that doesn't interest me at all. So I'm not sure what to do anymore. Should I go with my original plan, study engineering and see what happens then, or should I take a gap year to travel and think more about what I want to do, or do something else entirely?
    Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Does anywhere offer engineering with a language minor? That may be an option. Else, most unis have language centres offering classes in all sorts. Whether you have to pay for them depends on the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenritsu)
    I'm a year 2 studying maths, further maths, physics and German. Clearly I was originally planning on doing a maths or engineering degree at uni, and I've applied for mech eng and have all my offers. But lately I've been thinking that I'd love to keep learning German and learn other languages too, and maybe work as a translator or interpreter. I still want to go to uni but I don't want to study languages as from what I've seen it's a lot of writing essays about literature which is something that doesn't interest me at all. So I'm not sure what to do anymore. Should I go with my original plan, study engineering and see what happens then, or should I take a gap year to travel and think more about what I want to do, or do something else entirely?
    Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
    The University of Bath, which is a good engineering university, offers a degree in engineering with German.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    Does anywhere offer engineering with a language minor? That may be an option. Else, most unis have language centres offering classes in all sorts. Whether you have to pay for them depends on the uni.
    Yeah that sounds like an idea actually, I'll look into it. The only thing is that I'd have to reapply so it would be next year right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna Schoon)
    The University of Bath, which is a good engineering university, offers a degree in engineering with German.
    Bath is one of the unis I've applied to actually, for mechanical engineering. I don't remember seeing a combined course with German though, do you have a link maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Bath is one of the unis I've applied to actually, for mechanical engineering. I don't remember seeing a combined course with German though, do you have a link maybe?
    I'm so sorry - it looks like they stopped running this course in 2015. But there are others:

Sheffield: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospect...do?id=H3R22018
    Warwick: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/eng/study/ug/degrees/me/

Bristol can give you a year on the continent provided you have the appropriate GCSE in the language, with an A grade:
    https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...ch-eng-europe/

It looks as if there is not really much choice. Sheffield is certainly one to go for!

The other alternative is pretty daring: you could go to Germany to study Mechanical Engineering in English. Have a look here:
    https://www.bachelorsportal.com/stud...g-germany.html
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Do any of the universities you've applied to offer an Engineering with language degree? It shouldn't be hard to transfer onto it if they do. If none do, then I think UCAS Extra is your best option (you can read more about it here).

Alternatively, you could take German classes outside of your degree. Many universities have language centres/evening classes, and you could organise summer schools (e.g.) and an Erasmus year abroad in Germany/Austria. With effort, you could still become fluent in German even if it wasn't part of your degree.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.