Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So i've generated the equation

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 14.06.56.png
Views: 19
Size:  20.4 KB

I know this is 100% correct for the reaction I have done. During the experiment i used Iron(II) sulfate heptahydrate (2.80g, 10.1mmol), 2M
    sulfuric acid (12 cm3, 24 mmol), Sodium diethyldithiocarbamate trihydrate (2.50 g, 11.0 mmol) , and sodium nitrite (0.38 g, 5.51 mmol).

Initially, i thought the sodium nitrite was the limiting reagent in the reaction, however, i am starting to question myself. Do the numbers in front of each formula in the equation make an impact in this matter? i.e. because we have 10.1 mmol of Iron(II) sulfate heptahydrate, are there actually 10.1/4 mmol in this reaction which would make it the limiting reagent?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the numbers in front matter - thats the reacting ratio
    So in this case you are reacting 4:4:2:2
    So 5.51 mmol is more than half of 10.1mmol, so it's not exactly a 4:2 ratio, you have slightly more sodium nitrate then you need
    So yes, the Iron(II) is the limiting reagent
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by SassyPete)
    Hi,

So i've generated the equation

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 14.06.56.png
Views: 19
Size:  20.4 KB

I know this is 100% correct for the reaction I have done. During the experiment i used Iron(II) sulfate heptahydrate (2.80g, 10.1mmol), 2M
    sulfuric acid (12 cm3, 24 mmol), Sodium diethyldithiocarbamate trihydrate (2.50 g, 11.0 mmol) , and sodium nitrite (0.38 g, 5.51 mmol).

Initially, i thought the sodium nitrite was the limiting reagent in the reaction, however, i am starting to question myself. Do the numbers in front of each formula in the equation make an impact in this matter? i.e. because we have 10.1 mmol of Iron(II) sulfate heptahydrate, are there actually 10.1/4 mmol in this reaction which would make it the limiting reagent?
    Your equation is incorrect, in fact the very first species is incorrect. Iron(III) sulfate does not have that formula... and as you state that it is iron(II) sulfate then your equation is far from 100% correct...

... closer to 0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Your equation is incorrect, in fact the very first species is incorrect. Iron(III) sulfate does not have that formula... and as you state that it is iron(II) sulfate then your equation is far from 100% correct...

... closer to 0%
    My bad - there should be no 3 after the sulfate group in the iron complex

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean, however, I was just going off what the lecturer had marked and said was correct - leading me to wonder why now. It seems to be correct with regards to people who did this experiment last term and had it marked too.

I will have to look further into this as now i am fairly confused
    ah yes spotted the error on my behalf - accidentally copied formula from the equation editor on word without taking regard for the scenario - my bad
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    ah yes spotted the error on my behalf - accidentally copied formula from the equation editor on word without taking regard for the scenario - my bad
    In any balanced equation you should not include water of crystallisation.

1. Identify the species oxidised
    2. Identify the species reduced
    3. Construct half equations for 1 & 2 above balanced for both atoms and charge
    4. MTB suitable integers in 3 to equalise electrons
    5. add half equations, gather terms and simplify

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 19, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.