The Student Room Group

Is studying law (LLB) at UWE ( Bristol University of the west of England) worth it ?

Hey all!

I got accepted to study law/ LLB at UWE Bristol. I absolutely love the university, the facilities are state of the art and the teachers seem to really push you in just worried about securing a job at a corporate firm or a decent and respectable law firm. I plan on becoming a solicitor just like most law students. Do you think UWE is a good decision or should I be going to a London university ( I also got accepted to some in London ). Do you think London will give me better acces to jobs as a student/ after graduation do you think it doesn’t really matter as you can apply for a job in London after you graduate?

I really need your help. If any of you have any information about UWE, the student life and lecturers please let me know.

Does anyone have an opinion on Greenwich also?

Thank you very much!
What are your grades like and where else are you considering?

It is still possible with a UWE degree. Obviously more difficult than with a Bristol degree!
Reply 2
Original post by Notoriety
What are your grades like and where else are you considering?

It is still possible with a UWE degree. Obviously more difficult than with a Bristol degree!

UWE, Manchester Met, Greenwich and University of Law.

My grades aren’t great due to personal circumstances. I study Biology, Psychology, English Literature and an EPQ in Stem Cells and ethics behind it.

D in Biology, B in English, B in Psychology and an A/B for my EPQ.

I also have a bunch of Level 3 BTECs as I studied abroad for a couple of years.
Reply 3
Original post by BiancaMD
Hey all!

I got accepted to study law/ LLB at UWE Bristol. I absolutely love the university, the facilities are state of the art and the teachers seem to really push you in just worried about securing a job at a corporate firm or a decent and respectable law firm. I plan on becoming a solicitor just like most law students. Do you think UWE is a good decision or should I be going to a London university ( I also got accepted to some in London ). Do you think London will give me better acces to jobs as a student/ after graduation do you think it doesn’t really matter as you can apply for a job in London after you graduate?

I really need your help. If any of you have any information about UWE, the student life and lecturers please let me know.

Thank you very much!

Hey there Bianca, I have also got conditional offer from UWE And im really excited about it, also I got accepted in london as well, but from my research I found out that london can be chaotic, plus if u want some london experience you could get the train and find really cheap tickets to travel there. I was informed as well about career prospectus if u search into their website you will see u can get tons of opprtunities such as sandwich year which is a placement after the second year and in the final year you can choose law in action which u will be working once a week in a law firm which i find amazing experience to have and the opportunities you are going to gain, i mean think that u are going to practice law for real b4 even getting your degree how cool is that ? Plus from ranking I dont think it is a bad university, and since they have really invest in their facilities i think its my final choice. Im looking forward to start this sept, although dont worry i am in the same place as you are its very difficult to choose and worrying about our future if its going to be unstable not such a good feeling, but just one last tip from what ive read it really depends on you how good you can be, since in uk most study is on u not on the teachers u might be even better from somewhere studying at oxbridge
The better London firms do tend to recruit from the better London universities, but if we're honest, that's not really what's on the cards here and going to a London uni outside of KCL, UCL, LSE & Oxbridge is likely to do little for your chances over going to Bristol UWE etc.
That said then, go to the university that excites you the most. If you like the look of the course and campus then you can overcome any disadvantage if you just apply yourself. Won't be easy, but it's definitely doable.
Reply 5
Original post by Alex12xx
Hey there Bianca, I have also got conditional offer from UWE And im really excited about it, also I got accepted in london as well, but from my research I found out that london can be chaotic, plus if u want some london experience you could get the train and find really cheap tickets to travel there. I was informed as well about career prospectus if u search into their website you will see u can get tons of opprtunities such as sandwich year which is a placement after the second year and in the final year you can choose law in action which u will be working once a week in a law firm which i find amazing experience to have and the opportunities you are going to gain, i mean think that u are going to practice law for real b4 even getting your degree how cool is that ? Plus from ranking I dont think it is a bad university, and since they have really invest in their facilities i think its my final choice. Im looking forward to start this sept, although dont worry i am in the same place as you are its very difficult to choose and worrying about our future if its going to be unstable not such a good feeling, but just one last tip from what ive read it really depends on you how good you can be, since in uk most study is on u not on the teachers u might be even better from somewhere studying at oxbridge

Hey Alex, thank you for taking the time to get back to me and write such an elaborate answer. I really appreciate it! From what it sounds like you have definitely made up your mind and have decided on UWE as your firm, I am still not 100% certain myself but I can tell you that UWE is an amazing university, I was definitely impressed by it. I think I will have another visit to my other universities at some point this week and next week and I'll decide then.

Until then, if you want to, I have gotten in contact with a couple of other soon to be UWE students and I can add you on IG or something to make a group chat

Many Thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
The better London firms do tend to recruit from the better London universities, but if we're honest, that's not really what's on the cards here and going to a London uni outside of KCL, UCL, LSE & Oxbridge is likely to do little for your chances over going to Bristol UWE etc.
That said then, go to the university that excites you the most. If you like the look of the course and campus then you can overcome any disadvantage if you just apply yourself. Won't be easy, but it's definitely doable.

Hey!
Thank you for getting back to me! You are probably right, I just don't want to miss out on the remaining possibilities a London university could offer me.

Many thanks,
Bianca.
Reply 7
Hey Alex, thank you for taking the time to get back to me and write such an elaborate answer. I really appreciate it! From what it sounds like you have definitely made up your mind and have decided on UWE as your firm, I am still not 100% certain myself but I can tell you that UWE is an amazing university, I was definitely impressed by it. I think I will have another visit to my other universities at some point this week and next week and I'll decide then.

Until then, if you want to, I have gotten in contact with a couple of other soon to be UWE students and I can add you on IG or something to make a group chat

Many Thanks.

Wow that would be great seriously, id love to do that should I tell you my username or sth, and id love to have a friend when got in the uni if you decide to go as well there it would be great, and the best thing i forgot to mention earlier is that bristol has been voted as the best city to live in the uk and it is among 20 best cities to live in the world with an amazing nightlife :smile:

Pls write me back how to contact since im new here and dont quiet know how it works :/
Hey all!

Thank you very much!

Sorry to burst your balloon but you will have a harder time becoming a solicitor if you go to uwe or Greenwich.

I know someone who went to Westminster. Realised too late that it wasn't the best. However worked her socks off and got a first then went to a top London university for a masters.

My fiance is a solicitor with a big London firm so I have inside knowledge
Reply 9
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Sorry to burst your balloon but you will have a harder time becoming a solicitor if you go to uwe or Greenwich.

I know someone who went to Westminster. Realised too late that it wasn't the best. However worked her socks off and got a first then went to a top London university for a masters.

Hey there, Do u know why this site sometimes is pissed me off bcsz always we have to go to a TOP UNIVERSITY while other mid universities but with world class education underestimated by some people, and according to ranking westmister is pretty low and its into traditional universities in the uk due to polytechnic, while UWE ITS entered elite universities with high rates of employability. Plus working in London is not that great bcsz u will ne treated like a slave no matter what university u ended up. In my oppinion its better to apply to high top uni after ur first bachelors degree especially if you are not familiar with english exams, there you can enjoy your time and be comfortable not to worry if youre going to pass the exams with 2:2 which worth noth its like bronze. After all if you notice salaries there are no significant credit if you have grafuated from a 30th position uni or 70th as i said earlier is how much effort you make :smile:
Hey there, Do u know why this site sometimes is pissed me off bcsz always we have to go to a TOP UNIVERSITY while other mid universities but with world class education underestimated by some people, and according to ranking westmister is pretty low and its into traditional universities in the uk due to polytechnic, while UWE ITS entered elite universities with high rates of employability. Plus working in London is not that great bcsz u will ne treated like a slave no matter what university u ended up. In my oppinion its better to apply to high top uni after ur first bachelors degree especially if you are not familiar with english exams, there you can enjoy your time and be comfortable not to worry if youre going to pass the exams with 2:2 which worth noth its like bronze. After all if you notice salaries there are no significant credit if you have grafuated from a 30th position uni or 70th as i said earlier is how much effort you make :smile:

It can annoy you all you want but it's the truth. Fact is, going to a top university is better than going to a medium-tier one, ESPECIALLY in a subject like Law. That's not to say that there's not plenty of other factors to consider in your choice, or is it to say that you can't make it to a Magic Circle firm etc. if you don't go to a top university, but your chances are lower, fact. OP wants to move to a London firm, and most of what you're saying isn't helpful.

If you can't go to a top University, make sure you're walking out of your choice with a first, do lots of extracurricular activities, work your ass off and you can absolutely make it as high up as you want to go, there's lots of reasons to be optimistic that don't require ignorance.
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
It can annoy you all you want but it's the truth. Fact is, going to a top university is better than going to a medium-tier one, ESPECIALLY in a subject like Law. That's not to say that there's not plenty of other factors to consider in your choice, or is it to say that you can't make it to a Magic Circle firm etc. if you don't go to a top university, but your chances are lower, fact. OP wants to move to a London firm, and most of what you're saying isn't helpful.

If you can't go to a top University, make sure you're walking out of your choice with a first, do lots of extracurricular activities, work your ass off and you can absolutely make it as high up as you want to go, there's lots of reasons to be optimistic that don't require ignorance.

Well at some points we agree, but yeah im a bit pissed when someone says you cannot find a job after your graduation, if you want it you are going to get it. Just think how many people have graduated from such universities and they manage to find a job. I also agree on the fact that you have to graduate with a first or eslewhere you are screwed, and can pursue your career in a postgraduate degree in a top university afterwards :smile:
Reply 12
Wow that would be great seriously, id love to do that should I tell you my username or sth, and id love to have a friend when got in the uni if you decide to go as well there it would be great, and the best thing i forgot to mention earlier is that bristol has been voted as the best city to live in the uk and it is among 20 best cities to live in the world with an amazing nightlife :smile:

Pls write me back how to contact since im new here and dont quiet know how it works :/

Heya!

I know it has, I went there myself and the city is beautiful, the night life isn’t too bad either.

You can send me a private message with your username and I can add you, or just leave it in a comment if you prefer doing that instead :smile:.
Reply 13
Original post by squeakysquirrel

Don’t feel sorry at all, the reason why I post on here is to get feedback from people.

I am aware of that,however, I know I will be able to work hard at university and hopefully land a good internship/ go to a top uni for my masters.

The matter I am concerned with at the moment however is which uni I should go to. What do you think?
Don’t feel sorry at all, the reason why I post on here is to get feedback from people.

I am aware of that,however, I know I will be able to work hard at university and hopefully land a good internship/ go to a top uni for my masters.

The matter I am concerned with at the moment however is which uni I should go to. What do you think?

If you want to become a solicitor I wouldn't pick any of your choices. You are setting yourself a very hard task. Training contracts have been cut back. There are increased numbers of law graduates being pumped out of universities all with the same idea as yourself. Why set yourself up to fail. That is probably the reality. I personally know one graduate from your list of universities ..... none of the graduates in his year got a training contract.......and he himself got a first.

If I were you, I would retake my A levels and aim higher
UWE, Manchester Met, Greenwich and University of Law.

My grades aren’t great due to personal circumstances. I study Biology, Psychology, English Literature and an EPQ in Stem Cells and ethics behind it.

D in Biology, B in English, B in Psychology and an A/B for my EPQ.

I also have a bunch of Level 3 BTECs as I studied abroad for a couple of years.

The Bs are good :smile: You could always take Sociology next year by itself. If you've got Bs in English and Psychology I'm sure you'd get an A. You'd then have a better choice of uni's to apply to. Though if you want to go to UWE go, just make sure you get a 1st or 2:1.

I was in the same situation as you, with two decent grades but a D in Biology. I just went to uni though and worked on doing well in my degree. Even though its not from an elite institution, it hasn't stopped me from receiving a place at one for a masters!
Hey Bianca, I'm in the same situation as you and also applying for Law at UWE? Did you end up going to it? If so, how's the university?

Quick Reply

Latest