Turn on thread page Beta

Weight is becoming a problem watch

I am male, 21 years old, 5 foot 9 inches and I weigh 110 kg. It is impacting my health more than it did in my teens and I need to lose weight desperately. Not only do I have problems with getting from point A to point B , I can feel myself slowing down mentally the more weight I put on. Any tips for exercise considering I get out of breath very quickly and can last maybe 10 minutes on a treadmill?

ReputationRep:
    Weightloss largely starts in the kitchen, can’t outrun a bad diet.

What does your diet look like? Do you know how many calories you are eating a day? Or how many you should be eating?

As for exercise, perhaps swimming? Great workout but less likely to cause breathlessness.

Also your stamina will improve if you stick with it, may only last ten minutes now but within a month you could be going for half an hour.

ReputationRep:
    Walking - long distance - or jog for a shorter distance.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am male, 21 years old, 5 foot 9 inches and I weigh 110 kg. It is impacting my health more than it did in my teens and I need to lose weight desperately. Not only do I have problems with getting from point A to point B , I can feel myself slowing down mentally the more weight I put on. Any tips for exercise considering I get out of breath very quickly and can last maybe 10 minutes on a treadmill?
    Your local area may have a weight loss programme you could join.
    The basics behind losing weight are eating the right amount of calories and doing some exercise. It's also better off the calories you're consuming are from healthier and more balanced foods.

Have a look online to find a health amount of calories to be consuming if you want to loose weight, look at balanced diet plans and try to do some exercise (whatever is manageable for you).

Weight loss programmes will help you with that and also give you some motivation from being with other people so you might like to look into that. I believe the NHS offers some at least in some areas so you could Google that or ask at your drs surgery for some info.

Remember it's normal to suck when you start exercising. As you keep at it your body gets more used to it, you learn your capabilities better and your body gets more fit so you'll be able to do more. Start with something manageable and keep gently building up. Swimming can be good cos it's low impact, but doing something you find fun is also good cos you're more likely to stick with it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Start small; this will take commitment and will require a lifestyle change in order for you to keep the weight off. Start by only drinking water that's not what you do already. Once you've committed to that, ensure that any snacks between meals are fruits or vegetables - soon enough these will become habit...

Ensure you're in a caloric deficit, too - 250-500 is a healthy range.

As for exercise, start by going for a walk. Walking is so underrated when it comes to both physical and mental benefits...you'll get a sweat on if you've problems getting from A to B now. Headphones in, world out - you'll feel refreshed, I promise.

You got this.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    As mentioned, start small. Even if it's just getting off the bus one stop earlier.

Use my fitness pal. I found that really helped me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Look up Intermittent Fasting - 2 meals a day with no snack inbetween

ReputationRep:
    I am fat too and but with determination and few diet courses I am losing weight, you see but mostly it's up to you, as how much committed you are to lose weight and get your stamina back. Follow a diet plan and exercise daily and a little bit of walking or jogging daily would help you a lot.

ReputationRep:
    You are what you eat. Of course, exercise will help but diet more so if you're looking to lose weight and keep it down.
    As long as you're not diabetic or have serious medical problems, I suggest a low carb diet initially and then the ketogenic diet. It's drastic but it works massively in reducing weight loss and there is some evidence suggesting improved cognitive function.
    I'm not overweight but I've been on the ketogenic diet for a long time, initially it was to cut and then do a clean bulk but it proved to be so beneficial for my mind that I stuck with it.
    If you want more info, message me and I can recommend some books etc to you.

ReputationRep:
    5'9 here and 217lbs - so pretty close to your weight.

I think it's easier to lose weight if you focus on sorting out your diet first and foremost - not having that 70 calorie kitkat is a lot easier to do than working out hard at the gym for 10minutes. Exercise on top of a better diet will help you lose weight but like I said, it's a lot of work to lose calories by exercise. That isn't to say you shouldn't try though - you mention getting out of breath just walking so keep that up. Maybe go to a park or woodland and walk for a while, if you sweat that's great.

I got a rowing machine about a month ago (I'm so worried about diabetes that I'm desperate to lose weight) and I go on 8 or 9 times a week for 10 or 20 minutes each time, pushing myself until I almost throw up and have to lie on the floor after but I've noticed I've gotten much fitter just in that month. Last night I ran probably around 500m without getting too out of breath and it felt really really good. I'm still overweight but losing slowly and really focusing on eating less too.

It might be worth you talking to your doctor to make sure there isn't anything causing you to put on weight. For instance, I have hypothyroidism which really decreases my metabolism so I gain weight very easily, I'm also on medication that does the same thing. Are you taking any meds daily? Perhaps look into if they can cause changes in metabolism and get your thyroid checked.

Good luck buddy, I know how hard it can be to lose weight and how crappy it makes you feel.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.