Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

University is harming my mental health watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I this is not something new in my life. I’ve suffered with depression and anxiety for a long long time. I don’t have much of a social life here at Uni. I have lived here six months and I have not gone to a single party of club. Being antisocial doesn’t really bother me, even at sixth form I would not go out at all so it’s something I am used to. For me it is entirely the deadlines and amount of coursework. I am a history student so I have constant deadlines to meet. Every single time a deadline comes around rather than starting it I just think. I lay in bed and think what I will put down. It then develops into the fear of even starting the essay. I become panicked because I know that every time I do my essays I always get stuck I always tend to have an emotional breakdown. I have not handed in one single piece of work where it hasn’t led me to question everything. I struggle with the simplist tasks of writing down my thoughts. They are never good enough or the sentence is too weak. I struggle with actual ideas. I feel like I never get anywhere. I have a 2000 word essay due Friday. I planned to start it this weekend. I haven’t moved out of my bed and I just can’t push myself to start it. It won’t go well no matter how long I leave it. I just don’t know what to do.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Galaxy2849)
    So I this is not something new in my life. I’ve suffered with depression and anxiety for a long long time. I don’t have much of a social life here at Uni. I have lived here six months and I have not gone to a single party of club. Being antisocial doesn’t really bother me, even at sixth form I would not go out at all so it’s something I am used to. For me it is entirely the deadlines and amount of coursework. I am a history student so I have constant deadlines to meet. Every single time a deadline comes around rather than starting it I just think. I lay in bed and think what I will put down. It then develops into the fear of even starting the essay. I become panicked because I know that every time I do my essays I always get stuck I always tend to have an emotional breakdown. I have not handed in one single piece of work where it hasn’t led me to question everything. I struggle with the simplist tasks of writing down my thoughts. They are never good enough or the sentence is too weak. I struggle with actual ideas. I feel like I never get anywhere. I have a 2000 word essay due Friday. I planned to start it this weekend. I haven’t moved out of my bed and I just can’t push myself to start it. It won’t go well no matter how long I leave it. I just don’t know what to do.
    Sounds like you could benefit from having a chat with your unis student support team to see if there's anything they can do to help you or any advice they can give you.
    You might also like to talk to your GP and have a look at some info online if this lack of motivation and stuff is something that bothers you often.

Looking at info on depression is often a good place to start. That's not because you totally have depression (although it's possible), but more because the advice for depression is good for this sort of unmotivated, stressed out feeling since it's a common issue with depression and it's usually worded well so it's easy to understand.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.