Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Migrant worker status, maintenance loan & summer break watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To receive maintenance loan as EU student I need migrant worker status, move to UK before September 1st (but I can get a job after that date if I understand correctly?) and work regularly. As much as I understand, leaving UK for summer break is equal to losing migrant worker status - can I reaply for it when I move back for another year or is it one time thing? And will I be able to receive maintenance loan if I can reaply for migrant worker status?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Nikry)
    To receive maintenance loan as EU student I need migrant worker status, move to UK before September 1st (but I can get a job after that date if I understand correctly?) and work regularly. As much as I understand, leaving UK for summer break is equal to losing migrant worker status - can I reaply for it when I move back for another year or is it one time thing? And will I be able to receive maintenance loan if I can reaply for migrant worker status?
    Hi Nikry.

To apply as a migrant worker, you need to meet the following criteria:

• EU/EEA or Swiss National (or family member of)
    • Lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of their course
    • Ordinary resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of their course
    • They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/Child or grandchild must be working throughout the students studies
    • They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/grandchild must receive wages for this work but can also have ‘pocket money’ for voluntary work i.e. Au Pair
    • This work must be effective, genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or ancillary

If you meet this criteria we will require evidence to show this:

Employed
    • The students original Passport or National ID Card
    • Croatian Nationals Only - Migrant Worker’s Permit (yellow/blue or purple card)
    • A copy of the students contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which the student works if this is not confirmed on their contract of employment or if the student is on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify the students employment status with their employer)
    • The students last 3 months payslips (if available)
    • The students most recent P60 (if available)
    • Termly evidence

Self Employed
    • Croatian Nationals Only - Migrant Worker’s Permit (yellow/blue or purple card)
    • Evidence that the student is registered self employed with HMRC (can accept UTR letter)
    • The students last 3 months invoices and corresponding bank statements (if available)
    • The students last 3 months business expenditure (if available)
    • The students most recent tax return (if available)
    • Termly evidence

You can apply as a migrant worker for the full length of your course, as long as you still meet the criteria.

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi Nikry.

To apply as a migrant worker, you need to meet the following criteria:

• EU/EEA or Swiss National (or family member of)
    • Lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of their course
    • Ordinary resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of their course
    • They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/Child or grandchild must be working throughout the students studies
    • They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/grandchild must receive wages for this work but can also have ‘pocket money’ for voluntary work i.e. Au Pair
    • This work must be effective, genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or ancillary

If you meet this criteria we will require evidence to show this:

Employed
    • A copy of the students contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which the student works if this is not confirmed on their contract of employment or if the student is on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify the students employment status with their employer)
    • The students last 3 months payslips (if available)
    • The students most recent P60 (if available)
    • Termly evidence

Self Employed
    • Evidence that the student is registered self employed with HMRC (can accept UTR letter)
    • The students last 3 months invoices and corresponding bank statements (if available)
    • The students last 3 months business expenditure (if available)
    • The students most recent tax return (if available)
    • Termly evidence

You can apply as a migrant worker for the full length of your course, as long as you still meet the criteria.

Thanks

Catherine
    Thank you for your answer! However it didn't... really answer my question. As much as I understand: if I leave UK for summer break (and with that leave my work) I will lose my status as migrant worker. I will move back again to UK for my second year, and again I will start working. Am I able to receive migrant worker status again after working for 3 months? And how would my maintenance loan (that i can receive only if i have migrant worker status) be affected by that?

Unless there are different criteria for student migrant workers that I do not know about?

thank you for your time
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Nikry)
    Thank you for your answer! However it didn't... really answer my question. As much as I understand: if I leave UK for summer break (and with that leave my work) I will lose my status as migrant worker. I will move back again to UK for my second year, and again I will start working. Am I able to receive migrant worker status again after working for 3 months? And how would my maintenance loan (that i can receive only if i have migrant worker status) be affected by that?

Unless there are different criteria for student migrant workers that I do not know about?

thank you for your time
    Hi Nikry,

If you end your employment voluntarily to return home during the summer then you will automatically lose your status as a migrant worker. You would then have to resend all of you employment evidence again to determine your Migrant worker eligibility for the next academic year. You would be asked to provide evidence of when you left your previous employer by sending your P45 because your Maintenance Loan would have to be reassessed. This means your funding may need to be prorated and your previous years Maintenance loan would be effected.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi Nikry,

If you end your employment voluntarily to return home during the summer then you will automatically lose your status as a migrant worker. You would then have to resend all of you employment evidence again to determine your Migrant worker eligibility for the next academic year. You would be asked to provide evidence of when you left your previous employer by sending your P45 because your Maintenance Loan would have to be reassessed. This means your funding may need to be prorated and your previous years Maintenance loan would be effected.

Thanks

Louise

Thank You so much for your answer!!
    Could You please explain what You mean by that that my previous year maintenance loan would effected? I'm sorry for asking so many questions!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Nikry)
    Thank You so much for your answer!!
    Could You please explain what You mean by that that my previous year maintenance loan would effected? I'm sorry for asking so many questions!
    Hi Nikry

As a continuing student your entitlement is assessed for the full twelve months, including the summer holidays.

That entitlement is split into three almost equal instalments.

If you ended your employment during that period and lose your migrant worker status, your entitlement would be recalculated from the start of the academic year, up until the date that your employment ended.

Regards Rona

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.