Turn on thread page Beta

"All that and a bag of chips. How we're going to get the grades we deserve." watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow students,
    My name is Liona Williams, I am 17 years old and a first-year student of college, this is my "Grow Your Grades" blog, so don't just stop here and scroll off. Get engaged. Continue reading and you'll eventually get stuck in. Now, my GCSE grades weren't all sunshine and rainbows (you can see below). Now, I'd agree A-levels can be a somewhat stressful time, especially when you are trying to maintain a heavy workload at a quality degree. For me, I have always seen education, as a part of my life where if I'm not pouring my heart and soul into it, then what is the point?

This is not only time out of my life, but everyone else's life too. And, with so much of the day to embrace, we should get stuck in. That's only if we don't catch the procrastination bug. Anyways, back to the point, A-levels are an opportunity for us to prove we're not just 'smart' like other people assume, but we breathe passion for our subjects, we are compassionate learners and we are hard working. So, let's do this!

Besides, I know with some of the dense language that I use, some of you will imagine me to be this hyperenergetic 'freak' with a taste for life. Yes, that is partially true in the sense that I want to be successful. But, on this journey, you take with me, I want to establish that doing A-levels is every moment of your lives from the day you begin them to the day you finish them. They follow you everywhere you go. So, with that in mind, as this blog unravels so will your relationship, your passion and your determination to your subjects. And, even if you're unconvinced, begin to realise that I'm human, I procrastinate, I get demotivated, I binge eat, I get depressed. That's all a part of the process, it's all a part of that educational challenge of bettering yourself
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'm hoping to do that in the three ALEVELS I do:
    - English Literature
    - English Language
    - Media Studies

That I will consistently record to show you the progress occurring, while I let you guys in on my study process. Each day, we will reflect- whether it's on workload, ambitions, willingness to succeed or mental health, I will be here.

So, stay tuned!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Thread looks good, good luck with your a levels.

ReputationRep:
    Never give up, study every day as much as you can and you will get the results.

Once you get the results, you will feel satisfied

As they say, suffer in school and then have fun

ReputationRep:
    Hey, why suffer in school? If you’re passionate about what you do?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionawilliams)
    Hey, why suffer in school? If you’re passionate about what you do?
    Because some students just like to party a lot instead of studying and focusing on their studies.

If I am passionate about something and I want to learn about it, I will try and take a few hours of my day to try and learn about it

ReputationRep:
    I like that mindset, also a break from the Studies isn’t bad. Although, doing it constantly I do disagree because then I come to this point of: why are they doing it if they aren’t willing to commit to their studies? Also

ReputationRep:
    18/02/18-
    For the fair share of today, I was demotivated and fully invested in “Love per square foot” and “Everything sucks!”. Once those had finished, I laid in self disgust after realising I’d thrown away two days procrastinating. So, I begun writing ten pages of catch up notes in my English language book, it felt like reperations to compensate for a weekend of laziness. Despite not doing much, I still felt lazy but after doing some work I began feeling better in myself and eventually felt achieved, especially after feeling the soreness of my fingertips of writing ten pages of work out. When you experience that feeling, that’s when you know you’ve done enough and have to stop before you burn out.

Here’s a quick photo:
    Name:  C9902BB4-F307-49BE-9C21-67319C7C840F.jpg.jpeg
Views: 41
Size:  23.9 KB

Tomorrow, I hope to live a day full of productivity. Being that today, I got the whole of one book written up in term of notes. In hindsight of tomorrow, I want to get the second one done. Then, begin reading a book on African Literature by Ngugi Ta’Wiongo about how he was conditioned to speak English. I can’t wait, I also think if I have the time I may do an analysis of the essential British accents - that’s if I manage to find my accents and dialects book! Pray for me😩, please don’t say I left it at college!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keslo)
    Thread looks good, good luck with your a levels.
    Firstly, I'd like to say thank you for the support and I'm going to need it! Also, the weirdest thing about the blogging is that it has grounded me in peace because I get to see how much I'm carrying out each day. Also, please be sure to keep track and hit me up with any criticisms or advice you have, as I carry on.

ReputationRep:
    ALEVEL TIPS:
    1. Make revision fun, you can do the generic things like flash cards, mind maps, videos and past papers. Although, you need to set yourself apart so in your spare time, set aside one hour a week to watch media associated project videos or literature explanation videos. Ensure you have extra time to watch explanation videos, if you're not sure how to interpret a piece of information and understand it - YouTube videos can always work.
    2. Record novels on the voice recorder and replay them, while you are on the bus, in the car, wasting time or in public. Ensure you use headphones - don’t be a nuisance.
    3. Become a teacher in your own home, an example of what I mean is making a timetable for topics in English language - remembering context. Then, sit your siblings down and talk to them about the topic for an hour and provoke their thoughts, allow them to ask questions and so forth. It's really fun and you're teaching them. If your siblings are too much, go to the library and ask the librarians if they don’t mind if you do this.
    4. Switch off all of your devices and lock your door! This allows you to revise properly. There is always something going on and you need time away. Ensure you are in the zone and lock the world off.
    5. Make a realistic timetable, don't try and do everything and force yourself to do it. Set out a timetable that you know that you can meet.
    6. DO NOT CRAM, REVISE OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME. REDUCES ANXIETY.
    7. When you make flash cards organise them in flashlight colours on what you've learned. Green for learned, amber needs more help and red you definitely need to go over.
    8. Try and revise in different settings, examples of which is: library, living room and bedroom. Doing it the same day got a bit exasperating for me. It can help you put everything into perspective.
    9. Do a lot of revision after school or whenever you're free, make sure you do your work and don't slack because they are hard. Also, don't depend on your teachers, depend on yourself and your extent of hard work.
    10. Revise topics beforehand, then it allows you to work on your weakest points in class and it allows you to have more time at the end of the year to do revision well at the end of the year.
    11. Asking your teachers during break, lunch or after school for help through any chapters and breaking down chapters of a book or aspects of information.
    12. Don't limit yourself to only one type of work book, read different types to expand your perspective on the same topics.
    13. Do extra research really helps you expand your knowledge.
    14. Do tons of past papers to know what you are going to come across in your exam.
    15. Try tea, vegetables, snack bars and crackers for snacks. Don't waste time eating junk food and putting too much weight on.
    16. Ten minute breaks are essential every 1.30 hours.

ReputationRep:
    19/02/18: Summary of the day

•Woke up at 7:30, after putting my alarm on snooze and ate Weetabix.
    •Decided to get on with work, then my mum offered to cook me a whole English breakfast.
    • I started making notes about the most important and different accents and dialects throughout the UK.
    •My mum intruded and insisted I get a break from Studies, so: we got our eyebrows waxed and styled; got subway and visited my sister. I shouldn't have said, it used 4hours of that precious revision time! Is it bad to feel guilty about spending time on family rather than revision?
    •While waiting for my mum's errands, I turned on my data and read a 34 page file my teacher sent me on Edmodo. It bruised my limited data. Oops... education totally worth it though!
    •Returned home, ran straight back up those stairs and picked up where I left off. I got those accents and dialects finished, I even started applying the international phonology alphabet. << By the way, search it up, it's really cool.
    • Then, I wrote up my old accent and dialect notes from a lesson in a more concise and orderly manner.
    • Treated me with 40 minutes of an Asian film.

<<Interesting video that gives you readers a sense of what I had to do. I really do enjoy phonology, I think when it comes to my EPQ, this is what I will focus it on. Defining my cities accent and dialectical influence?

Till tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    21/02/18😊:

Today was a more chill and less urged day. Yesterday, I have a NCS National Youth Board meeting from 10:30 - 4, then work from 5-10. For you, if perhaps seems like a dense push but for me it was like an adrenaline rush. I really enjoyed being out all that time and our brilliant team leader provided us with tons of delicious food, as in cakes; crisps; sweets; sandwiches and quiche. I loved it!

All of that meant I got sleep late, but today I had a slower day so it felt like I got nothing done but I did my media revision. We’re analysing the Water Aid advert where Claudia sings “Sunshine on a rainy day” and Straight Outta Compton. It sounds but every time I watch the trailer, I feel inspired to write and be something. After that I decided to research critical thinking theories in Language. I’ve still got so much to do, I feel so buried but let’s today tomorrow is easier. Also, do you ever do so much but feel like you do nothing?

Anyways, what have you all been doing today?

ReputationRep:
    24/02/17:
    It’s exhausting being expected to be the best all the time, my peers around me are not exactly supportive. One of my peers called me lazy, because I only do three Alevels. I think parents need to understand that in order for me to maintain a somewhat stable frame of mind during these two years, I can only handle three. What would my fourth be? However, I have been considering to do an EPQ, as well as this I’m on NCS National Youth Board, a part time job, a blog and 3 YES THREE University programs. Isn’t that enough?

Never let someone else’s opinion disturb your peace in studying! Anyways... today I wrote up all my media theories in a flash card box format. I took a picture of my desk to show you guys. (Excuse the mess).
    Attached Images

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.