Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Finished a gap year and now working 9-5... :/ watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey there

5 months ago I started a software engineering apprenticeship after dropping out of uni and having a pretty chilled BUT productive gap year - working and doing a part time course in programming. I was healthy, I exercised a lot, found time to work on my hobbies filmmaking/graphic design and i was happy and stress free.

I personally think I have taken this job very very seriously to the point where I am stressing about one little thing I do which could 'potentially ruin my steps to success' -- I am literally OTT about doing everything perfectly only because this is my first proper full time job in a career i would love to excel in and master. Especially during the last few weeks where my teammates haven't been putting in the work to the point where people have picked up on that and made comments which made me feel even more awful.

I've been working overtime to the point where I arrive at 8 and leave at 6 sometimes. I stopped eating and lost some weight - sometimes can't even look at food or enjoy it at lunch/dinner. And exercise has gone down - of course yes, when you exercise you feel happy and alive after so right now, feeling like a zombie almost every day.

I just want to do a good job and not screw anything up. But I also want to find balance again with my hobbies/exercise/health. Any advice would be awesome
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by EXOMENDES 101)
    Hey there

5 months ago I started a software engineering apprenticeship after dropping out of uni and having a pretty chilled BUT productive gap year - working and doing a part time course in programming. I was healthy, I exercised a lot, found time to work on my hobbies filmmaking/graphic design and i was happy and stress free.

I personally think I have taken this job very very seriously to the point where I am stressing about one little thing I do which could 'potentially ruin my steps to success' -- I am literally OTT about doing everything perfectly only because this is my first proper full time job in a career i would love to excel in and master. Especially during the last few weeks where my teammates haven't been putting in the work to the point where people have picked up on that and made comments which made me feel even more awful.

I've been working overtime to the point where I arrive at 8 and leave at 6 sometimes. I stopped eating and lost some weight - sometimes can't even look at food or enjoy it at lunch/dinner. And exercise has gone down - of course yes, when you exercise you feel happy and alive after so right now, feeling like a zombie almost every day.

I just want to do a good job and not screw anything up. But I also want to find balance again with my hobbies/exercise/health. Any advice would be awesome
    Just talk to your supervisor. Set targets , meet then and then worry less. Your problem is its open ended and you are running into the ground.

If you have a monthly progress meeting then when you hit targets you can rest assured you are doing fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Just talk to your supervisor. Set targets , meet then and then worry less. Your problem is its open ended and you are running into the ground.

If you have a monthly progress meeting then when you hit targets you can rest assured you are doing fine.
    Thank-you

I really appreciate the advice Will make sure of it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.