Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I had a needs assessment last week in which I was told I would be provided with a printer. Can I buy this now and apply to be reimbursed later?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmieJ)
    I had a needs assessment last week in which I was told I would be provided with a printer. Can I buy this now and apply to be reimbursed later?
    Thanks!
    Hi,

I don't know how, if at all, things have changed, but from when I had my needs assessment (before I started university in 2013) they gave me a list of items that I was eligible for, and then delivered the items to me that they stated on the needs assessment. So you don't have to buy the items now, they will provide the items.

Also, unless things have changed and/or your needs assessment states otherwise, you'll likely get a basic USB based printer/scanner/copier (e.g. not a wireless printer).

I think you can ask your equipment to be upgraded, but you'd have to pay additional costs though. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm basing it on what happened to me 5 years ago).

Spotify95

ReputationRep:
    I got a printer from DSA. It is one of the most complicated printers I ever had and have not used it since they gave it to me. I still use my old 12 year old HP printer which still works really well. I didn't need a printer that does everything but cook the dinner so it's gathering dust in my cupboard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    I got a printer from DSA. It is one of the most complicated printers I ever had and have not used it since they gave it to me. I still use my old 12 year old HP printer which still works really well. I didn't need a printer that does everything but cook the dinner so it's gathering dust in my cupboard.
    Also, expect replacement ink cartridges to cost a lot oas well. The printer they gave me (Canon MG2450) has cartridges that cost at least £20 per set, and therefore I use my old Epson CX3200 (from 2002!) as much as possible, to keep my ink supply for the aforementioned Canon lasting as long as possible.
    Once the ink supply runs out on said Canon, it's probably going to gather dust in a corner...

But at least it lasted me through my university degree, which is/was the point of DSA giving me a printer to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about others here, but I get my ink cartridges and paper reimbursed via DSA. But the cartridges have to be paid for up front in the first place and my old HP printer takes generic cartridges and it takes forever for DSA to reimburse. However, I am a pensioner - 70 next month and am in my final year so doing my dissertation and up to my eyes in assignments. Just paid £18 for a HP black cartridge. Had to get one of my kids to reimburse me for it.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Why would you want to buy your own and then get reimbursed for it later? I got one and it was pretty simple to use. Only got another because I don't use it that often and the ink was drying up.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by spotify95)
    I think you can ask your equipment to be upgraded, but you'd have to pay additional costs though. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm basing it on what happened to me 5 years ago).
    Not sure what the position is on printers, but this is basically what happens with laptops. It ultimately depends on your technological habits I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    Not sure about others here, but I get my ink cartridges and paper reimbursed via DSA. But the cartridges have to be paid for up front in the first place and my old HP printer takes generic cartridges and it takes forever for DSA to reimburse. However, I am a pensioner - 70 next month and am in my final year so doing my dissertation and up to my eyes in assignments. Just paid £18 for a HP black cartridge. Had to get one of my kids to reimburse me for it.
    That is indeed correct - when I had my DSA come through, my printing allowances were reimbursed as well. Though, just like your situation, I had to pay first, then get reimbursed afterwards.
    Thankfully, I got enough cartridges to last me through my 3 years of university, and I still have a couple of sets of cartridges left over.
    Once they are gone, the printer will probably be left to gather dust, unless I can get some cheaper ink cartridges for it (cheaper than £20 per set).

My old Epson from 2002 is starting to kick the bucket as well because it's not printing very well now... Looks like I'll be getting a new printer soon, hopefully a wireless one that is cheap on cartridges...

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy anything until you have your agreement letter, which gives instructions on what to do if you want to purchase an item yourself, rather than go with the one listed in your assessment report quote. If you buy one before you have your agreement letter and send in the receipt to claim reimbursement, it will be rejected as you would be deemed to already have had a printer and, therefore, you'd not need one to be paid for via DSAs. Hope that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    The DSA adviser recommends the equipment and then outsources it to another company to deliver it to you (should be Remtek).
    They choose which printer to give you, and you should get a printing allowance for ink and paper, depending on the current cost of ink cartridges for that printer. Mine is a Canon MG5350 I think and the cartridges cost me about £40 each on Amazon. I get a £180 allowance so I can only buy about 4 full cartridge packs with that a year.

ReputationRep:
    I see that two of the above posters accepted printers when they already had one. Didn't they think this was a waste of public money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovesick)
    I see that two of the above posters accepted printers when they already had one. Didn't they think this was a waste of public money?
    Dsa were aware that I had a printer and I told them how old it was. The printer came with the package which included my laptop and recording equipment.
    And, by the way, 6 of my 7 adult children are high earners as are quite a few of my 17 grandchildren so as taxpayers, I don't have a problem with accepting 'public money'.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.