The Student Room Group

National 5 Maths 2017/2018

Is anyone else doing Nat 5 maths this year? I can't seem to find a thread on it (sorry if there's one already).

I'm really struggling with it, I got a D in my prelim and am predicted at an A band 2... I'm freaking out.
Is anyone else finding it really really hard?

Scroll to see replies

Hi!
I did Nat 5 Maths last year and found it really hard because I’d always struggled with maths and sciences. I just scraped a pass in the prelim (literally 50%) and a lot of people in my class failed. I didn’t really understand maths until after the prelims when I really started working hard for it, plus the help of my teacher holding revision sessions and generally being very supportive also helped! In the SQA exam I pulled an A and so did a lot of others in my class. My best advice would be not to freak over your prelim result- you can improve from this, and often maths prelims do exactly that, scare you into working for it! Ask your teacher for help, do every past paper you can find (my teacher recommended maths180.com for loads of past papers and videos for help) and just practice practice practice. You can do it :smile:
I'm resitting nat5 and upped my prelim grade from 22% last year to 35% this year so now I'm just getting my head down and actually working my ass off to get a good grade in May
Also currently sitting N5 Maths, honestly coping pretty well with it all, but constant revision and lots of practise questions is the way to go :smile:
I'm doing it this year (I'm in S4) I scored 86% on the prelim which is an A* I believe. I have always been shuffling between the top two maths classes in our year and all it takes to get high marks like this is serious practice and dedication (don't forget to learn your times table up to 16 and all the formulas and laws which aren't stated on the formula sheet). Yous will all do grand.
so wer we’re going over the prelim today and I made so many careless mistakes!!! So annoyed at myself right now!!
I done national 5 Maths last year - scraped a C in the prelim and got an A (96%) in the final exam.

Maths is a subject where you just constantly have to be doing it. I would recommend doing all the old credit papers which are similar to national 5, you won’t be able to do every question as the course has changed but the majority should be fine.
OMG, they've only gone and decided to give us another prelim... whyyyy!! I. Am. Dreading. Thissss!!
It's on Wednesday!
Original post by independentx
OMG, they've only gone and decided to give us another prelim... whyyyy!! I. Am. Dreading. Thissss!!
It's on Wednesday!

Oof, good luck with it! I think we only have one second prelim in the future
Well... I think it might have gone ok. The only question I got really stuck on was one with compass points, but apart from that I think I may have been ok. I just always get confused on those questions and end up getting stuck.
Well... I think it might have gone ok. The only question I got really stuck on was one with compass points, but apart from that I think I may have been ok. I just always get confused on those questions and end up getting stuck.

Compass Points... Gotta say I hate bearings questions but we've done so many of them that they don't seem so bad anymore. Hope you get a good result!
OMG!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!! I got my result back on Friday and...
- 74%!!

I could hardly believe it. To be fair, it was a relatively easy assessment in the grand scheme of things, but still.
Also my normal maths teacher (who has been off since January) was back today. I'm glad, but at the same time, the other teacher we had was quite good too!!

so yeah I got a good result :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Congrats on your mark!

I'm starting to worry because I find maths pretty hard and at this point I don't even know where to begin with revision as there are so many things I can't do :/
Original post by stefbear
Congrats on your mark!

I'm starting to worry because I find maths pretty hard and at this point I don't even know where to begin with revision as there are so many things I can't do :/

I’m exactly the same... there’s just so many things I struggle with that it’s hard to pick out which one to revise first.

Went to maths easter school today. Worked on the 2017 paper, and found it reeeeeeeeeeeeally hard!!! Luckily the teacher was there to help me (not my normal teacher but this particular teacher was not only a good teacher, but hilarious too)! But I got quite a lot done. Wow though, that was a hell of a a lot of maths at once!!!
I’m exactly the same... there’s just so many things I struggle with that it’s hard to pick out which one to revise first.

Went to maths easter school today. Worked on the 2017 paper, and found it reeeeeeeeeeeeally hard!!! Luckily the teacher was there to help me (not my normal teacher but this particular teacher was not only a good teacher, but hilarious too)! But I got quite a lot done. Wow though, that was a hell of a a lot of maths at once!!!

I went to Easter school too today. I don't like talking to teachers but I managed to ask a couple of questions. I was going through the 2017 paper too and I kinda just looked at it and went "..what?" for most of it oops.
I went to Easter school too today. I don't like talking to teachers but I managed to ask a couple of questions. I was going through the 2017 paper too and I kinda just looked at it and went "..what?" for most of it oops.

I don't know what it is about that paper (and the 2016 one) that is just so hard!! I mean, I was getting the answers right but it took me aaaaaages to get them (and help on some of the questions). Neither of which I have in the exam just one month from today.
I don't know what it is about that paper (and the 2016 one) that is just so hard!! I mean, I was getting the answers right but it took me aaaaaages to get them (and help on some of the questions). Neither of which I have in the exam just one month from today.

Ahhh I forgot it was so soon! I can't do some without help or my notes either. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. :frown:
Ahhh I forgot it was so soon! I can't do some without help or my notes either. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. :frown:

Hopefully we'll both be ok!! I'm sure we will!!
Hopefully we'll both be ok!! I'm sure we will!!

Yeah, we should be okay as long as we keep working hard!
Original post by __nikhita
Hey! I’d be happy to try and help anyone with N5 maths questions, I need some help tooo! (Literally stuck on a question rn lol)

:wavey: Hi this is the main Nat 5 maths thread for this year :smile: Thought you might find it useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending