Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a British citizen, born and raised there until I was 6, until my parents made the decision to move to Spain, I never changed my nationality or anything so I'm still a British citizen. In 2016 I wanted to spend some time with my family so I moved back to the UK, got a job, enrolled in a college course etc. all fine, then in August of 2017 I went back to Spain for a family emergency. So now here I am, wanting to apply to university, and I really don't know what I qualify as, an EU citizen or just a home student...? I've done some Googling and I'm still none the wiser, every government information page I've found only really talks about people actually born in another country...

This is mostly so I know where I stand in terms of funding and such... any help would be very appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    From the sources I’ve found, it looks like it all depends on the country that you reside in, so if you reside in the UK and can prove it then you are a home student, if not then you are an EU student. Here’s what I looked at:

https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/underg...nce/fee-status
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/in...classification
    https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...erty-in-the-uk
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarcane101)
    Hi,

I'm a British citizen, born and raised there until I was 6, until my parents made the decision to move to Spain, I never changed my nationality or anything so I'm still a British citizen. In 2016 I wanted to spend some time with my family so I moved back to the UK, got a job, enrolled in a college course etc. all fine, then in August of 2017 I went back to Spain for a family emergency. So now here I am, wanting to apply to university, and I really don't know what I qualify as, an EU citizen or just a home student...? I've done some Googling and I'm still none the wiser, every government information page I've found only really talks about people actually born in another country...

This is mostly so I know where I stand in terms of funding and such... any help would be very appreciated.
    SFE website has guides for deciding if you are a home or EU student - had a quick look and I think you have to have lived in England for 3 years before applying as a home student - or you could ask in the student finance section on here

ReputationRep:
    Your best bet is to ask in the student finance forum Monday-Friday 9-5 as there are people from SFE who can give a more definitive answer.

It doesn't sound like you meet the 3/5 year residency requirement for UK fee status or maintenance support, but they'll be able to give you a better answer.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.