Turn on thread page Beta

Can you pick up an a subject after your UCAS has been sent off? watch

ReputationRep:
    Can you pick up an a subject after your UCAS has been sent off?

I'm think of picking up an AS and have offers from all my universities. Can I just notify/ask my universities?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Quintic)
    Can you pick up an a subject after your UCAS has been sent off?

I'm think of picking up an AS and have offers from all my universities. Can I just notify/ask my universities?
    You could, but are you sure you have enough time? Presumably you've done none of the AS work, and exams will be in a couple of months. There's no point in rushing to take an extra AS and getting a bad grade - and if you spend a lot of time on the AS work, you might end up neglecting your other subjects and missing your offer.

The unis would be able to change their offer to include the AS if they wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar question: Can we drop a subject and then take a new one after the application has been sent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fasih123)
    I have a similar question: Can we drop a subject and then take a new one after the application has been sent?
    Technically yes, although if you do, you will have to inform UCAS so they can update your record. If you don't unis won't be able to accept you due to not being able to match up your exam results with your declared qualifications (best case scenario) or reject you for fraud (worst case scenario)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You need to check with the unis if they will allow it. They are able to change your offer (so may ask for higher grades in your remaining subjects) or withdraw your offer. So you need to check before doing it so that you can weigh up whether it's worth it.

You also would need to tell UCAS, otherwise the gnomes cannot process your results and this will lead to delays in your offer being confirmed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    Technically yes, although if you do, you will have to inform UCAS so they can update your record. If you don't unis won't be able to accept you due to not being able to match up your exam results with your declared qualifications (best case scenario) or reject you for fraud (worst case scenario)
    I think I will need to drop Media Studies because I left school and would appear as a candidate through my academy but I don't know if CIE could accept Media Studies not from school
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I think I will need to drop Media Studies because I left school and would appear as a candidate through my academy but I don't know if CIE could accept Media Studies not from school
    Note what Juno said above. You can't just drop (or change) subjects without checking first with your universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You need to check with the unis if they will allow it. They are able to change your offer (so may ask for higher grades in your remaining subjects) or withdraw your offer. So you need to check before doing it so that you can weigh up whether it's worth it.

You also would need to tell UCAS, otherwise the gnomes cannot process your results and this will lead to delays in your offer being confirmed.
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Note what Juno said above. You can't just drop (or change) subjects without checking first with your universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hang on, they could withdraw my offer? Is this true?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Hang on, they could withdraw my offer? Is this true?
    Yes - if you change the content of your application then they can change their reply to that application.

It's unlikely but it's allowed.

ReputationRep:
    What about an additional module that doesn't give you a qualification (e.g. for something like maths?). I assume you wouldn't have to check with universities for that?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    What about an additional module that doesn't give you a qualification (e.g. for something like maths?). I assume you wouldn't have to check with universities for that?
    It's fine to add qualifications or modules. Just not to drop them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    It's fine to add qualifications or modules. Just not to drop them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm slightly confused as to the details here.

If I add a qualification, do I need to check with my universities beforehand so that I'm sure they won't change/withdraw my offer? What's the difference when it comes to adding a qualification and dropping one?

What about STEP for maths? This isn't on my form but I may wish to do it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

If I add a qualification, do I need to check with my universities beforehand so that I'm sure they won't change/withdraw my offer? What's the difference when it comes to adding a qualification and dropping one?
    Dropping one makes it easier to meet the offer, so you need to check first. Adding one doesn't. But it's still an idea to notify your universities at some stage.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

What about STEP for maths? This isn't on my form but I may wish to do it.
    The reason that you're asking them first is so that if they say no you still have options. You can think about it, and see if you'd prefer to not change your choices, or give up your chance for that uni.
    So if you drop a subject and then ask them, you've limited your options for continuing the subject. Your school might have already arranged for you not to go to lessons, but even if not you've definitely missed a few lessons/homework and would need to catch up. The uni might take a while to reply, so you've then got a few weeks to catch up on if you decide you can't drop the subject.
    If you're adding a subject and the uni says no, you've not lost anything if you start studying before you've asked them. You've then spent a couple of hours on work that becomes useless, but you just stop studying and it doesn't affect anything.

Either way you're making a change on your application, so you need to tell UCAS and the unis. Either way, they can theoretically change/withdraw your offer.

ReputationRep:
    Just called UCAS and they said that if I'm adding qualifications, I don't need to notify or check with universities until after I have my results, and they can't withdraw or change my offer. Thoughts?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Just called UCAS and they said that if I'm adding qualifications, I don't need to notify or check with universities until after I have my results, and they can't withdraw or change my offer. Thoughts?
    Did you get the name and job title of the person you spoke to at ucas? Because it sounds like you spoke to someone on work experience.

If you change your application then your universities can change their offers. They’re unlikely to but it’s their right.

If you drop or add a new qualification then you MUST update your application by emailing the details to [email protected] and then you MUST also notify your universities about the change.

If you are adding a qualification then they’re unlikely to care but they might want to amend your offer conditions to specifically exclude the new qualification (you can’t just add an AS general studies to meet your tariff point offer for example).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Did you get the name and job title of the person you spoke to at ucas? Because it sounds like you spoke to someone on work experience.

If you change your application then your universities can change their offers. They’re unlikely to but it’s their right.

If you drop or add a new qualification then you MUST update your application by emailing the details to [email protected] and then you MUST also notify your universities about the change.

If you are adding a qualification then they’re unlikely to care but they might want to amend your offer conditions to specifically exclude the new qualification (you can’t just add an AS general studies to meet your tariff point offer for example).
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.
    Another question - if I ask to change my course at a university to a course with higher grade requirements, can they change my offer (such that if I don't meet these requirements I won't have a place at the university at all)?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Another question - if I ask to change my course at a university to a course with higher grade requirements, can they change my offer (such that if I don't meet these requirements I won't have a place at the university at all)?
    Yes they can change your offer if you ask to be considered for another course. You can always ask to be considered for other courses with lower entry standards in the Summer if they're unable to take you with lower grades on your chosen course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Yes they can change your offer if you ask to be considered for another course. You can always ask to be considered for other courses with lower entry standards in the Summer if they're unable to take you with lower grades on your chosen course.
    Hi, another question on this - if I ask to be considered for another course, could my current offer be withdrawn? Or will I always keep at least one offer?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2018
Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.