Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

S4 N5's 2017/18 - Looking for fellow Guinea Pigs! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

As some of you know, the evil SQA has decided to change a lot of stuff regarding the N5 Course, and for us in S4, and those taking N5's this year, it's going to be the same case for you. We'll be the first year going through with no NABs, although I'm sure you'll still get given them.

So, if you are in the same boat, what are your thoughts, how are you coping with the course?
    Personally, I dislike the changes, it's essentially officially removing NABs, though you still do them. Along with this, they are making our exams longer, so that's another annoying thing. Sadly, there'll be no escape as it's going to change for our Higher and Advanced Highers...

Hopefully there are some other S4's on this or it'll be a bit awkward

ReputationRep:
    Personally, the changes from last year don't really bother me because it's not like I was doing my Nationals last year under a different system, I just have to learn the system for this year. My anger with the SQA more stems from the stupidity and inconsistency of their decisions i.e. We now no longer use gross and net profit (you know, like the rest of the world) instead we have gross and "profit for the year" (might have that wrong).

ReputationRep:
    Me too!!

I'm in S4 and doing 5 Nat 5s. I think the new system is a bit strange - it becomes very, very reliant on passing the exam. i.e. there is no fallback if you're having a bad day!!

I'm coping ok I guess, well, as well as I can be really.
    I do worry about the longer exams too.
    How are you coping with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by independentx)
    Me too!!

I'm in S4 and doing 5 Nat 5s. I think the new system is a bit strange - it becomes very, very reliant on passing the exam. i.e. there is no fallback if you're having a bad day!!

I'd definitely agree with you there, if something happens on the day of the exam, you're pretty much stuck. I myself am taking 6 N5's and I'd say I'm coping well enough with them so far. I'm just waiting on my prelim results at the moment, though I'll be uploading them tomorrow after school on my Grow Your Grades Thread. I've been finding them alright and I'd say that the coursework I'm submitting etc should be of a decent standard to allow myself the best head start for the exams
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The changes are incredibly stressful, I'm doing 8 national 5's (my school does 8 subjects in S3/S4) I am in S4 and I got 5 A's (one was a A* or A band 1) , 1 B, 1 C, and 1 D. The N5 physics exam has extended massively from 110 marks up to 135 marks. I guess more revision will be required this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeadarKing)
    The changes are incredibly stressful, I'm doing 8 national 5's (my school does 8 subjects in S3/S4) I am in S4 and I got 5 A's (one was a A* or A band 1) , 1 B, 1 C, and 1 D. The N5 physics exam has extended massively from 110 marks up to 135 marks. I guess more revision will be required this year.
    Damn, the thought of doing eight nat 5's is not a good one! I definitely agree about the Physics exam, its certainly going to be a grind to revise for that one, and the other extended exams such as computing and business :/ Those grades are looking good though so nice going!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    honestly i think i am glad, i have obviously never done the previous nat 5 so i cant properly cant comoare but right now the assignments are freaking me out way more then my prelims did and i think my exams will either
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by WestDragon)
    Hey!

As some of you know, the evil SQA has decided to change a lot of stuff regarding the N5 Course, and for us in S4, and those taking N5's this year, it's going to be the same case for you. We'll be the first year going through with no NABs, although I'm sure you'll still get given them.

So, if you are in the same boat, what are your thoughts, how are you coping with the course?
    Personally, I dislike the changes, it's essentially officially removing NABs, though you still do them. Along with this, they are making our exams longer, so that's another annoying thing. Sadly, there'll be no escape as it's going to change for our Higher and Advanced Highers...

Hopefully there are some other S4's on this or it'll be a bit awkward
    (Original post by MLM99)
    Personally, the changes from last year don't really bother me because it's not like I was doing my Nationals last year under a different system, I just have to learn the system for this year. My anger with the SQA more stems from the stupidity and inconsistency of their decisions i.e. We now no longer use gross and net profit (you know, like the rest of the world) instead we have gross and "profit for the year" (might have that wrong).
    (Original post by independentx)
    Me too!!

(Original post by PeadarKing)
    (Original post by gracierowe42)
    honestly i think i am glad, i have obviously never done the previous nat 5 so i cant properly cant comoare but right now the assignments are freaking me out way more then my prelims did and i think my exams will either

Hi everyone :wavey:

Hope you are all getting on okay with revision

Think this thread deserves a wee bump, as it could be useful to other Nat 5 students this year

While I'm here, if any of you are doing subjects not already listed here please feel free to make a new subject thread for it to try and find other students doing the same subjects

ReputationRep:
    I don't like how the assignments are now marked externally as it put more pressure on me. However, hopefully this means that I tried harder and get a better mark.

I'm not looking forward to the longer exams either. I'm really scared my stomach will rumble halfway through an exam, when it's silent, since school seems to make me really hungry, or I'll lose my concentration and just give up.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 3, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.