The Student Room Group

How would you solve the student finance crisis/issues?

Tuition fees are crazy high, interest stands at 6.1%, the poor are being put off uni because of it, and there is still confusion about tuition fees. How would you address the problem?

Personally you do need tuition fees, or else anyone would go uni, which is a bad idea because it degrades the idea of university and differentiating between serious and less serious people. I’d fix interest rates at the current market rate and set tuition fees at £6000. I’d then offer maintenance grants, not loans.

How would the UK afford this? Increase the tax for the rich by 1% and increase corporation tax by 0.5%.
Original post by SherlockD
Tuition fees are crazy high, interest stands at 6.1%, the poor are being put off uni because of it, and there is still confusion about tuition fees. How would you address the problem?

Personally you do need tuition fees, or else anyone would go uni, which is a bad idea because it degrades the idea of university and differentiating between serious and less serious people. I’d fix interest rates at the current market rate and set tuition fees at £6000. I’d then offer maintenance grants, not loans.

How would the UK afford this? Increase the tax for the rich by 1% and increase corporation tax by 0.5%.

I'm not sure why the poor are being put off university? Students from low-income families can borrow the maximum amount which should cover rent and food costs easily, even in an expensive city like Edinburgh.

Some universities also have extremely generous bursary schemes, such as the Nottingham Core Bursary which gives £2,000 per student per year if your household income is < £25,000, or the University of Edinburgh Scholarship which gives £7,250 per student per year if you're in about the same income bracket.

'Back in the day' tuition was free, and far fewer people went to university. Also, degrees were valued much more. These days, not so much.
Original post by SherlockD

There's no evidence the poor are being put off uni. The only problem is middle class parents thinking it should be a free ride.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending