Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Tuition fees are crazy high, interest stands at 6.1%, the poor are being put off uni because of it, and there is still confusion about tuition fees. How would you address the problem?

Personally you do need tuition fees, or else anyone would go uni, which is a bad idea because it degrades the idea of university and differentiating between serious and less serious people. I’d fix interest rates at the current market rate and set tuition fees at £6000. I’d then offer maintenance grants, not loans.

How would the UK afford this? Increase the tax for the rich by 1% and increase corporation tax by 0.5%.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by SherlockD)
    Tuition fees are crazy high, interest stands at 6.1%, the poor are being put off uni because of it, and there is still confusion about tuition fees. How would you address the problem?

Personally you do need tuition fees, or else anyone would go uni, which is a bad idea because it degrades the idea of university and differentiating between serious and less serious people. I’d fix interest rates at the current market rate and set tuition fees at £6000. I’d then offer maintenance grants, not loans.

How would the UK afford this? Increase the tax for the rich by 1% and increase corporation tax by 0.5%.
    I'm not sure why the poor are being put off university? Students from low-income families can borrow the maximum amount which should cover rent and food costs easily, even in an expensive city like Edinburgh.

Some universities also have extremely generous bursary schemes, such as the Nottingham Core Bursary which gives £2,000 per student per year if your household income is < £25,000, or the University of Edinburgh Scholarship which gives £7,250 per student per year if you're in about the same income bracket.

'Back in the day' tuition was free, and far fewer people went to university. Also, degrees were valued much more. These days, not so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SherlockD)

There's no evidence the poor are being put off uni. The only problem is middle class parents thinking it should be a free ride.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.