Turn on thread page Beta

What could I do with an international relations degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    International relations is such a broad degree and I was wondering what sort of job opportunities lie ahead. Also, would you need anything else e.g a masters, to get them.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    bump for op bc im interested too lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xnotapplicablex)
    bump for op bc im interested too lol
    Honestly there are a load of jobs that aren't degree specific but I know you'd be at an advantage working in diplomacy or the Foreign Office. To work in the Foreign Office all you need is an honours degree. But other than that there are loads of non specific jobs lol

ReputationRep:
    Hope I get an offer form LSE because their job prospects are so high, along with the average graduate salary!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hope you do too! Ahahaha hi Freddie
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by FrederickP98)
    International relations is such a broad degree and I was wondering what sort of job opportunities lie ahead. Also, would you need anything else e.g a masters, to get them.
    Hi Frederick!

A degree in International Relations isn't just for setting you up to work in politics or for an NGO; the skills you gain from an IR degree have applications in many areas. Soft skills such as presenting, understanding complex relationships, analysing texts and reports are really important when working in business, the civil service, local government, teaching, the police, the armed forces, journalism and more! Take a look at the graduate experience of a former UEA Politics & IRs student, who ended up working as a Supply Chain Analyst for HS2 Ltd.

I also found a great resource on the Prospects website which expands further on what IR graduates get up to, what skills they get for their CV and also what subjects they take in further study.

Do any of those careers appeal to you?

Fred - UEA PG Rep

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.