The Student Room Group

How to afford medical school

Hello. I'm an International non-EU student in the uk and i'm about to graduate with a predicted first class. i have done my GAMSAT and want to apply for graduate medicine.

My biggest worry is that if I do get accepted, I haven't a clue how I would be able to afford it. The total four year program costs about £197,000 excluding living costs. I know that students take out student loans, but I am non-EU so I am not able to. My family isn't wealthy either, and it would kill me if I don't get in because of my financial situation. Any suggestions? I feel like I would take it better if I got rejected, than to be accepted and not be able to afford it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Volibear
I don't mean to be blunt but if you know you can't afford it, why apply? Scholarships are already few and far between for home/EU students and they will be virtually non-existent for non-EU international students (someone correct me if I'm wrong though). You don't have to pay it all upfront (I assume), so would you be able to earn what you need each year? Though I understand this is a massive ask and if you aren't able to, that's your degree gone.

Where are you from?

I understand where you're coming from. I have not applied yet, but I am trying to see if there is a way because i have wanted this for 6 years now. It costs about £50,000 a year, and if I were to get a full-time job with my current degree I would be looking to make about £22,000 a year so it isn't possible. I am from Florida, but i cannot go to meds school in the states because they require you to sit a relevant degree first with lab hours etc, this is my only option that's been made semi impossible. However, thank you for your input, I perhaps need a wakeup call.
Reply 2
Have you looked in the rest of Europe?

I have looked into other medical schools, and there are great ones in Ireland as well. However, only EU students are offered student loans (and they cost much, much less for EU students than international ones). All graduate entry medicine courses fees are similar. Sadly I am out of options.
Don't US schools offer 'full-ride' scholarships to exceptional students?
Reply 4
Original post by rickyrossman
Don't US schools offer 'full-ride' scholarships to exceptional students?

Yes, they do. But i don't qualify to go to meds school in the state (very different requirements).
Reply 5
Yes I suppose that could be my only option :smile: I just wanted to see if anyonr had any ideas, I wasn't expecting an absolute solution. Thank you though!
Reply 6
Out of curiosity, why didn't you take the relevant first degree you needed?

Because I received a full scholarship that covers my degree and living expenses to do a particular degree at a particular University, and with my financial situation I couldn't say no.
Reply 7
I suppose that can be an option, but it would be a 4 year long degree, and I would have to take out a loan with no garauntee that I will received a scholarship for medical school. i will have a think and see if it's worth it, thanks! :smile:
Reply 8
I see and that makes perfect sense, but if medicine has been your plan for six years, did you not take this situation into consideration at the time?

My father promised me that he would assist me to get into medical school once I graduate, he was planning to take out a loan and was working on a business project. Unfortunately he passed away unexpectedly last year, so I'm trying to figure this out by myself now
i think there are private loans available for international students. Of course the interest rate is much higher, but its better than nothing
Here is a page i found from the university of birmingham, and the information seems relavent
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/International/students/finance/loans/usa-available.aspx
Original post by walflower
Hello. I'm an International non-EU student in the uk and i'm about to graduate with a predicted first class. i have done my GAMSAT and want to apply for graduate medicine.

My biggest worry is that if I do get accepted, I haven't a clue how I would be able to afford it. The total four year program costs about £197,000 excluding living costs. I know that students take out student loans, but I am non-EU so I am not able to. My family isn't wealthy either, and it would kill me if I don't get in because of my financial situation. Any suggestions? I feel like I would take it better if I got rejected, than to be accepted and not be able to afford it.
There's no way you can afford that amount. Go to university in your own country.
Original post by snowman77
There's no way you can afford that amount. Go to university in your own country.

did you even bother reading the thread before making a completely useless comment?
I understand where you're coming from. I have not applied yet, but I am trying to see if there is a way because i have wanted this for 6 years now. It costs about £50,000 a year, and if I were to get a full-time job with my current degree I would be looking to make about £22,000 a year so it isn't possible. I am from Florida, but i cannot go to meds school in the states because they require you to sit a relevant degree first with lab hours etc, this is my only option that's been made semi impossible. However, thank you for your input, I perhaps need a wakeup call.

Have you checked the US requirements? Lots of American graduates do courses (often at community college) to get the medicine pre-reqs - there is a good US medical students forum which covers this stuff.

A significant proportion of US medical students dont have relevant degrees.
All graduate entry medicine courses fees are similar. Sadly I am out of options.

That is definitely not true. Medical courses in Bulgaria, Romania etc, do not cost £200,000 i assure you.
Its entirely impractical to pay back that amount of money on UK doctors salaries at UK tax rates. If the OP studied in America they could borrow the money and have the earning power to repay without huge hardship. A US med school would take 4 years, then a training period of 3-5 years on around $50k per annum then between $120-$250k exc overtime.

Quick Reply