Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to afford medical school watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I'm an International non-EU student in the uk and i'm about to graduate with a predicted first class. i have done my GAMSAT and want to apply for graduate medicine.

My biggest worry is that if I do get accepted, I haven't a clue how I would be able to afford it. The total four year program costs about £197,000 excluding living costs. I know that students take out student loans, but I am non-EU so I am not able to. My family isn't wealthy either, and it would kill me if I don't get in because of my financial situation. Any suggestions? I feel like I would take it better if I got rejected, than to be accepted and not be able to afford it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walflower)
    Hello. I'm an International non-EU student in the uk and i'm about to graduate with a predicted first class. i have done my GAMSAT and want to apply for graduate medicine.

My biggest worry is that if I do get accepted, I haven't a clue how I would be able to afford it. The total four year program costs about £197,000 excluding living costs. I know that students take out student loans, but I am non-EU so I am not able to. My family isn't wealthy either, and it would kill me if I don't get in because of my financial situation. Any suggestions? I feel like I would take it better if I got rejected, than to be accepted and not be able to afford it.
    I don't mean to be blunt but if you know you can't afford it, why apply? Scholarships are already few and far between for home/EU students and they will be virtually non-existent for non-EU international students (someone correct me if I'm wrong though). You don't have to pay it all upfront (I assume), so would you be able to earn what you need each year? Though I understand this is a massive ask and if you aren't able to, that's your degree gone.

Where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    I don't mean to be blunt but if you know you can't afford it, why apply? Scholarships are already few and far between for home/EU students and they will be virtually non-existent for non-EU international students (someone correct me if I'm wrong though). You don't have to pay it all upfront (I assume), so would you be able to earn what you need each year? Though I understand this is a massive ask and if you aren't able to, that's your degree gone.

Where are you from?
    I understand where you're coming from. I have not applied yet, but I am trying to see if there is a way because i have wanted this for 6 years now. It costs about £50,000 a year, and if I were to get a full-time job with my current degree I would be looking to make about £22,000 a year so it isn't possible. I am from Florida, but i cannot go to meds school in the states because they require you to sit a relevant degree first with lab hours etc, this is my only option that's been made semi impossible. However, thank you for your input, I perhaps need a wakeup call.

ReputationRep:
    I understand where you're coming from. I have not applied yet, but I am trying to see if there is a way because i have wanted this for 6 years now. It costs about £50,000 a year, and if I were to get a full-time job with my current degree I would be looking to make about £22,000 a year so it isn't possible. I am from Florida, but i cannot go to meds school in the states because they require you to sit a relevant degree first with lab hours etc, this is my only option that's been made semi impossible. However, thank you for your input, I perhaps need a wakeup call.
    Have you looked in the rest of Europe?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    ...The total four year program costs about £197,000 excluding living costs...
    As @volibear said, this is a huge amount of money without loans. Even as a doctor, it will take you several years before you earn £50k per year. I do not see how it is possible at all if you are looking at this figure. Perhaps look at European courses (as already suggested)?

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked in the rest of Europe?
    I have looked into other medical schools, and there are great ones in Ireland as well. However, only EU students are offered student loans (and they cost much, much less for EU students than international ones). All graduate entry medicine courses fees are similar. Sadly I am out of options.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have looked into other medical schools, and there are great ones in Ireland as well. However, only EU students are offered student loans (and they cost much, much less for EU students than international ones). All graduate entry medicine courses fees are similar. Sadly I am out of options.
    In that case I don't know what you are expected us to offer? Perhaps work for a few years and then reconsider your options when you have some savings?

ReputationRep:
    Don't US schools offer 'full-ride' scholarships to exceptional students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    Don't US schools offer 'full-ride' scholarships to exceptional students?
    Yes, they do. But i don't qualify to go to meds school in the state (very different requirements).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they do. But i don't qualify to go to meds school in the state (very different requirements).
    Out of curiosity, why didn't you take the relevant first degree you needed?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As you have said above, can't you do a "relevant degree first with lab hours etc" in the US first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    In that case I don't know what you are expected us to offer? Perhaps work for a few years and then reconsider your options when you have some savings?
    Yes I suppose that could be my only option I just wanted to see if anyonr had any ideas, I wasn't expecting an absolute solution. Thank you though!

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, why didn't you take the relevant first degree you needed?
    Because I received a full scholarship that covers my degree and living expenses to do a particular degree at a particular University, and with my financial situation I couldn't say no.

ReputationRep:
    Because I received a full scholarship that covers my degree and living expenses to do a particular degree at a particular University, and with my financial situation I couldn't say no.
    I see and that makes perfect sense, but if medicine has been your plan for six years, did you not take this situation into consideration at the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    As you have said above, can't you do a "relevant degree first with lab hours etc" in the US first?
    I suppose that can be an option, but it would be a 4 year long degree, and I would have to take out a loan with no garauntee that I will received a scholarship for medical school. i will have a think and see if it's worth it, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I see and that makes perfect sense, but if medicine has been your plan for six years, did you not take this situation into consideration at the time?
    My father promised me that he would assist me to get into medical school once I graduate, he was planning to take out a loan and was working on a business project. Unfortunately he passed away unexpectedly last year, so I'm trying to figure this out by myself now

ReputationRep:
    My father promised me that he would assist me to get into medical school once I graduate, he was planning to take out a loan and was working on a business project. Unfortunately he passed away unexpectedly last year, so I'm trying to figure this out by myself now
    I'm sorry for your loss. Nonetheless, if you want to go for it, it does sound like you have some options. But it will come with risk I suppose. I wish you the best of luck

ReputationRep:
    i think there are private loans available for international students. Of course the interest rate is much higher, but its better than nothing
    Here is a page i found from the university of birmingham, and the information seems relavent
    https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Interna...available.aspx

ReputationRep:

There's no way you can afford that amount. Go to university in your own country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    There's no way you can afford that amount. Go to university in your own country.
    did you even bother reading the thread before making a completely useless comment?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.