Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by walflower)
    I understand where you're coming from. I have not applied yet, but I am trying to see if there is a way because i have wanted this for 6 years now. It costs about £50,000 a year, and if I were to get a full-time job with my current degree I would be looking to make about £22,000 a year so it isn't possible. I am from Florida, but i cannot go to meds school in the states because they require you to sit a relevant degree first with lab hours etc, this is my only option that's been made semi impossible. However, thank you for your input, I perhaps need a wakeup call.
    Have you checked the US requirements? Lots of American graduates do courses (often at community college) to get the medicine pre-reqs - there is a good US medical students forum which covers this stuff.

A significant proportion of US medical students dont have relevant degrees.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by walflower)
    All graduate entry medicine courses fees are similar. Sadly I am out of options.
    That is definitely not true. Medical courses in Bulgaria, Romania etc, do not cost £200,000 i assure you.

(Original post by ecolier)
    As @volibear said, this is a huge amount of money without loans. Even as a doctor, it will take you several years before you earn £50k per year. I do not see how it is possible at all if you are looking at this figure. Perhaps look at European courses (as already suggested)?
    Its entirely impractical to pay back that amount of money on UK doctors salaries at UK tax rates. If the OP studied in America they could borrow the money and have the earning power to repay without huge hardship. A US med school would take 4 years, then a training period of 3-5 years on around $50k per annum then between $120-$250k exc overtime.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.