Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

National Youth Theatre vs Social Anxiety. (??) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about auditioning for the National Youth Theatre for some time. The NYT annually auditions thousands of teens/ young adults and if you’re (very) lucky you can join the company for workshops/ future opportunities. Long story short- it's great for the CV if you’re into acting. I’m actually doing English with the OU, but I’ve always been interested in the performing arts/ creative sector, not really sure what I want to do with my life. However, I’ve had crippling social anxiety which has always held me back from opening up and making long-lasting friendships, etc. Just wondering, if you’ve done NYT, what are your opinions on someone like me taking part? I’ve had literally zero friends for a couple of years. Am I a complete idiot to fancy doing such a thing?? Are most auditionees very socially confident / extroverted? ...please could anyone offer their advice or opinions? It would help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheriarty)
    I've been thinking about auditioning for the National Youth Theatre for some time. The NYT annually auditions thousands of teens/ young adults and if you’re (very) lucky you can join the company for workshops/ future opportunities. Long story short- it's great for the CV if you’re into acting. I’m actually doing English with the OU, but I’ve always been interested in the performing arts/ creative sector, not really sure what I want to do with my life. However, I’ve had crippling social anxiety which has always held me back from opening up and making long-lasting friendships, etc. Just wondering, if you’ve done NYT, what are your opinions on someone like me taking part? I’ve had literally zero friends for a couple of years. Am I a complete idiot to fancy doing such a thing?? Are most auditionees very socially confident / extroverted? ...please could anyone offer their advice or opinions? It would help.
    I did my audition on Friday and I would say that it’s an interesting experience. The three hour workshop helps getting you prepared for the audition and makes you more comfortable with the other people auditioning with you. You don’t have to be socially confident to get in. It’s important that you can work with people as an ensemble and that you’re not trying so hard to stand out. The most important thing is being yourself.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by regina_tay)
    I did my audition on Friday and I would say that it’s an interesting experience. The three hour workshop helps getting you prepared for the audition and makes you more comfortable with the other people auditioning with you. You don’t have to be socially confident to get in. It’s important that you can work with people as an ensemble and that you’re not trying so hard to stand out. The most important thing is being yourself.
    thank you for this insight

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.