Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I find that the older I grow, the more right-wing I become. Nevertheless, I have a family and friends, and I don't wish to see any of them being disadvantages. That's why I can't figure out why the right-wing, conservative politicians (not all) work towards, for example, deregulating industries that caused us trouble in the past or allowing for a US-UK trade deal that would see our food and environmental standards drop.

Unless it's the newspapers pushing lies around that 'right-wing groups pushing for deregulation of this and that', it's slightly concerning. Right-wingers have families too and I can't figure out why they don't care about their own, if we assume that they don't care about the others.

It's not about over-regulating industries, but we should have some standards rather than a 'do what you want to make money' attitude. I heard someone mentioning that it's many rich people pushing for deregulation, but they eat food too. Even the high-end food establishments serve cheap chickens. They just dress it nicely.

So, what are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Regulations have gone way too far in my opinion.

If I did all the paperwork I was meant to do I would have barely any time to do my actual job, and this is the same for a lot of people I speak to eg in the police, council etc.

IY dhoukdnt even be a right/ left distinction. I have corbynite friends who hate it too.

ReputationRep:
    If deregulation is to be associated with that right-wing, it will be along the lines of economic libertarianism and of serving the interests of capitalists. Freedom of enterprise away from state control and regulation is not a left-wing virtue, therefore such traits must be right-wing indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Regulations have gone way too far in my opinion.
    Agreed. Had the banks not been regulated, the financial crash of 2008 (that we are still paying for) would never have happened right?

And businesses without environmental rules to govern them would be much more environmentally friendly.

In fact come to think of it, I can't think of any reason why less regulation would be better, other than for the tiny minority of individuals at the top who would stand to benefit financially from the whole enterprise.

I am thinking that the days when workers had no protection in law - they were much better for everyone right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Agreed. Had the banks not been regulated, the financial crash of 2008 (that we are still paying for) would never have happened right?
    Meh. I think the culture of freed and selfishness is more to blame. The Marxists are right, capitalism will almost find ways to avoid these things which might harm it..

And businesses without environmental rules to govern them would be much more environmentally friendly.
    I do think the government has done some good here, but I don’t thonk you need to equate punishing can npsnies thst damage the environment equates to filling out three forms in triplicate and going through several departments just to order a lightbulb.

In fact come to think of it, I can't think of any reason why less regulation would be better, other than for the tiny minority of individuals at the top who would stand to benefit financially from the whole enterprise.
    So another example. I recently moved house and began renting properly for the first time. I had quite a stressful time of it which the manager explained to me was basically down to government changes to how landlords operate in an attempt to make housing more ‘affordable’ which perversely has the opposite attempt.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.tel...l-payment/amp/

Left wingers are generally only good st seeing the immediate consequences to problems and are less good at seeing the long term consequences. The welfare state and the nhs being good examples of this.

Before you paint me as some sort of tea party libertarian I actually support more public sector involvement and am probably an old school centrist economically.

I am thinking that the days when workers had no protection in law - they were much better for everyone right?
    So because I think we’ve got too much regulations that means I think we should sent kids down unsafe coal mines. Nice straw man bruh 👍🏻

ReputationRep:
    So another example. I recently moved house and began renting properly for the first time. I had quite a stressful time of it which the manager explained to me was basically down to government changes to how landlords operate in an attempt to make housing more ‘affordable’ which perversely has the opposite attempt.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.tel...l-payment/amp/

Left wingers are generally only good st seeing the immediate consequences to problems and are less good at seeing the long term consequences. The welfare state and the nhs being good examples of this.

Before you paint me as some sort of tea party libertarian I actually support more public sector involvement and am probably an old school centrist economically.

So because I think we’ve got too much regulations that means I think we should sent kids down unsafe coal mines. Nice straw man bruh 👍🏻
    You make a fair case. But where do you draw the line? Northern Rock is no more purely because it was lending to all and sundry regardless of whether people would afford to pay or not.

On the flip side, you have the totally unregulated rental market that allows landlords to raise rents at will or turf out tenements with no reason, and at every step of the way we have agents taking their cut whilst giving no value to the tenant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    You make a fair case. But where do you draw the line? Northern Rock is no more purely because it was lending to all and sundry regardless of whether people would afford to pay or not.

On the flip side, you have the totally unregulated rental market that allows landlords to raise rents at will or turf out tenements with no reason, and at every step of the way we have agents taking their cut whilst giving no value to the tenant.
    Well it’s quite simple: keep that which is good and can be justified and scrap that which is not.

Any additional new regulation in itself is going to be costly and burdensome, so something like what Trump is cdoing where to introduce any new regulation two old ones have to be gotten rid of .

The housing market is incredibly complicated with small measures having huge repercussions as home owners will quite rightly be protective if their properties whilst I am well aware of awful landlords I am also not keen on just leaving it to the council to sort out.

What measures would you make??

ReputationRep:
    Well it’s quite simple: keep that which is good and can be justified and scrap that which is not.

What measures would you make??
    But it isn't as simple as that. Any regulation generally favours one person at the expense of another. So increased banking regulation favours the government, savers and society at large who would otherwise be screwed out of £billions if a bank went under, but the losers are those first time buyers struggling to get on the housing market. Who would you favour?

And then there are those employment laws or red tape as we flippantly like to call it, forgetting of course that many of those laws actually protect us all. Death in the workplace is almost non-existent thanks to "Elf and safety gone mad." Of course if you were to ask those same critics if they would be happy to see health and safety at work relaxed but see thousands of workers killed at work like the good old days so that employers could profiteer, would they agree? I think not.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on just how deregulated you wish to make industries. As a general rule of thumb removing safe guards and standards simply encourages companies to **** all over everyone else be it gambling with deposits, dumping toxic waste in rivers, screwing insurance claimants etc.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of right wing thinkers take their views on regulation / state intervention from Adam Smith, who theorised that the market would take care of itself, creating affluent individuals who created wealth and jobs. Whilst this is true in some instances, the world situation is massively different from when Smith was writing this. I doubt if he were to see what free trade and cheap foreign labour had created today, he would be writing the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomm0)
    I find that the older I grow, the more right-wing I become. Nevertheless, I have a family and friends, and I don't wish to see any of them being disadvantages. That's why I can't figure out why the right-wing, conservative politicians (not all) work towards, for example, deregulating industries that caused us trouble in the past or allowing for a US-UK trade deal that would see our food and environmental standards drop.

Unless it's the newspapers pushing lies around that 'right-wing groups pushing for deregulation of this and that', it's slightly concerning. Right-wingers have families too and I can't figure out why they don't care about their own, if we assume that they don't care about the others.

It's not about over-regulating industries, but we should have some standards rather than a 'do what you want to make money' attitude. I heard someone mentioning that it's many rich people pushing for deregulation, but they eat food too. Even the high-end food establishments serve cheap chickens. They just dress it nicely.

So, what are your thoughts?

Luckily for you, we have very few genuinely conservative MPs. I think legislation should give a decent standard of employment rights, environmental and health and safety.

Beyond that it should be decided by free markets, mass regulations have grown since the second world war with the idea efficiency could be dictated by government. Competitive and choice works better imo.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.