The Student Room Group

The Russian troll factory where Brexit was organised and Trump put in office

The troll factory in St Petersburg. "It was like being in Orwell's world" says a former employeee.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/02/17/a-former-russian-troll-speaks-it-was-like-being-in-orwells-world

The factory strongly influenced the US presidential election and the EU referendum vote. This has been demonstrated by the number of leading news media stories during those campaigns that in fact originated with the troll factory.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/brexit-russia-troll-factory-propaganda-fake-news-twitter-facebook-a8050866.html

Many people were misled by the troll factory during the EU referendum, in particular, believing lurid stories about immigrant misbehaviour that were complete fabrications, but which were repeated in the Mail, the Sun and the Telegraph, amongst other news outlets.

Farage repeatedly praised Putin and of course is a close ally of Trump.

Now that we know for sure that Farage and other pro-Brexit campaign managers allied themselves with deliberate foreign power manipulation, can we please have a rerun of the EU referendum excluding these illegal interventions?

Farage is a traitor who should be arrested.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a feeling you're going to cop a load of **** from all the Brexstremists on here for this post :L
Can a Remoaner open her mouth without a lie coming out?

The so called Troll factory had no impact on the Brexit vote so stop lying and pretending it did.

As for the US election, is that all Mueller can come up with??? No American was involved, and it once again had no impact.

So you can stop lying about that too. The biggest troll here is you.
Now that we know for sure that Farage and other pro-Brexit campaign managers allied themselves with deliberate foreign power manipulation

There is no evidence for this, sure Farage has praised Russia, this in no way means that Farage knew/was involved all it means is that faraged praised Putin and that their might have been Russian meddling in the election because as far as I know the only evidence we have is a few people confessing, I dont deny that there are Russian bots but as to how many and the actual effect of them that is something that is debatable.

In all honesty I wouldnt be suprised if these people are Russian agents trying to destabilize the west by making stories up about Russian meddling then having people "confess" stirring up more hatred in the population.

We also have left wing groups that do the same so I dont really think it is a big of a story as we think
(edited 6 years ago)
Attempting to influence a vote and actually influencing it are different things.

For the readers of the Daily Mail, the Telegraph and the Sun, consuming pro-Brexit content anyway, I think their minds were pretty much made up prior to these false Russian stories.
One of a number of leading media stories directed from St Petersburg was the "Muslim woman walks past dying man whilst checking phone" one.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/14/how-400-russia-run-fake-accounts-posted-bogus-brexit-tweets

This has been completely discredited, but it was picked up at the time and run with by all leading media, including even the BBC and it had a marked effect on the debates in the EU referendum.
Reply 6
An anonymous whistleblower at the Kremlin-backed centre told the Mail on Sunday: “We were active on social media, including Twitter, mainly posting on contentious topics obsessing the Brits.”

Some annonymous person claiming to be a whilstleblower, talking to the Daily Mail? Well that's just concrete evidence right there....
Reply 7
Original post by generallee
Can a Remoaner open her mouth without a lie coming out?

The so called Troll factory had no impact on the Brexit vote so stop lying and pretending it did.

Have you got a shred of evidence to back up that claim?
Original post by Napp
Have you got a shred of evidence to back up that claim?

We kept being told that Russian involvement in the Referendum would be a game changer. The Remainers have been leaking this for months, drip feeding it.

But the whole story turns out to be a nothingburger, and no-one seriously believes it...

https://www.ft.com/content/fbf8ab4c-e41d-11e7-97e2-916d4fbac0da

The Remainer OP knows all this and is lying.

The idea that this so called Troll factory might lead to a second referendum is laughable.
Reply 9
Imagine believing this even had a negligible impact on either of these things. Even the VP of advertising at Facebook said most of their advert spending was after the election.
interesting to see the right wing morons focusing on the brexit issue when the much much bigger issue of the 2016 US election is the real news here.
Original post by Caesar333
interesting to see the right wing morons focusing on the brexit issue when the much much bigger issue of the 2016 US election is the real news here.

Are you British? If so Brexit will have by far a bigger impact on the remainder of your life than Trump's election. (Assuming he doesn't start World War Three obviously). If you aren't, who cares what you think on the subject? You didn't get a vote and it isn't your country.

The so called Russia involvement in the US election is a non story. No evidence of collusion with Trump himself, or his team, has been produced, not a shred. You are aware of that, right?

And the money spent by the Russians on this Blue Peter stickyback plastic effort was utterly miniscule, a few dollars, a tiny fraction of Clinton's $1.2 billion campaign. She didn't lose because of them, she lost because she was a cr@p candidate.

More, she was the one involving shady foreigners in a US election. A former British spy, who produced a farrago of lies about Trump just before polling day, at the instigation of her staffers.
Original post by the0
Imagine believing this even had a negligible impact on either of these things. Even the VP of advertising at Facebook said most of their advert spending was after the election.

They don't actually believe it. Neither the Democrats, not the Remainers themselves believe for a moment that the US election, or Brexit was swung by Russian trolls.

It is just a tactic, and a pretty desperate one. The Russian angle on Brexit which the Remainers hoped would be huge has had zero traction. And the Democrats are getting nowhere with Mueller and are slipping in the polls.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/upshot/polls-midterm-election-republicans-democrats.html
I would never turn down the change to watch remain campaigners cry live on TV. Please, let us have a second vote. The result really won't change.

Sadly, it will never happen.
Are you British? If so Brexit will have by far a bigger impact on the remainder of your life than Trump's election. (Assuming he doesn't start World War Three obviously). If you aren't, who cares what you think on the subject? You didn't get a vote and it isn't your country.

I am british. I am aware that brexit will affect me more, but given that the brexiters were sold dreams from boris and the lot, I dont particularly care about russian bots. And neither do brexiters, who are dumb enough to fall for their fake news.

The so called Russia involvement in the US election is a non story. No evidence of collusion with Trump himself, or his team, has been produced, not a shred. You are aware of that, right?

The investigation is ongoing. So to come to the conclusion that its a "non story" is silly.

Trump's team did make contact with russians. From the russian lawyer to the ongoing investigation with Manafort and 3 plea deals from staffers from trumps staff team, you'd have to be a complete tool to think nothing illicit is going on.

And the money spent by the Russians on this Blue Peter stickyback plastic effort was utterly miniscule, a few dollars, a tiny fraction of Clinton's $1.2 billion campaign. She didn't lose because of them, she lost because she was a cr@p candidate.

It doesnt matter if the money the russians spent was small. We dont even know how much they spent so now you're just guessing.

What a stupid way to measure influence. By spreading thousands of false stories on places like reddit which leaked onto twitter and facebook and lead to 1000s and 1000s of shares, it's evident that if you engaged on social media, you will have come across a fake story. And this is based on the tiny amount of what we know from the investigation. The people that Mueller indicted on Friday will never face a US court because Russia does not have extradition to the US.

More, she was the one involving shady foreigners in a US election. A former British spy, who produced a farrago of lies about Trump just before polling day, at the instigation of her staffers.

Yes, she tried to find a way to get some sh*t on trump. I think thats better than colluding with a foreign state dont you think?

The Steele dossier only dropped after the election, and had its funding cut off once hillary lost.

It is from a reliable source with years of investigative experience and has produced dossiers that have been accurate in the past. We all know you Trumptards are scared. The recent "memo" which turned out to be a complete non story as a cheap failed attempt to sack Mueller, Trump's blocking of the democrat's memo and his firing of Comey just suggests hes delaying his inevitable fall.
Original post by Caesar333
I am british. I am aware that brexit will affect me more, but given that the brexiters were sold dreams from boris and the lot, I dont particularly care about russian bots. And neither do brexiters, who are dumb enough to fall for their fake news.

The investigation is ongoing. So to come to the conclusion that its a "non story" is silly.

Trump's team did make contact with russians. From the russian lawyer to the ongoing investigation with Manafort and 3 plea deals from staffers from trumps staff team, you'd have to be a complete tool to think nothing illicit is going on.

It doesnt matter if the money the russians spent was small. We dont even know how much they spent so now you're just guessing.

What a stupid way to measure influence. By spreading thousands of false stories on places like reddit which leaked onto twitter and facebook and lead to 1000s and 1000s of shares, it's evident that if you engaged on social media, you will have come across a fake story. And this is based on the tiny amount of what we know from the investigation. The people that Mueller indicted on Friday will never face a US court because Russia does not have extradition to the US.

Yes, she tried to find a way to get some sh*t on trump. I think thats better than colluding with a foreign state dont you think?

The Steele dossier only dropped after the election, and had its funding cut off once hillary lost.

It is from a reliable source with years of investigative experience and has produced dossiers that have been accurate in the past. We all know you Trumptards are scared. The recent "memo" which turned out to be a complete non story as a cheap failed attempt to sack Mueller, Trump's blocking of the democrat's memo and his firing of Comey just suggests hes delaying his inevitable fall.

Mueller has found nothing.

Clearly he has to file charges of some kind to justify the time spent, and the millions wasted, hence this complete waste of time, charging Russians who won't ever face trial. But he can't prove collusion because there was no collusion.
Mueller has found nothing.

Clearly he has to file charges of some kind to justify the time spent, and the millions wasted, hence this complete waste of time, charging Russians who won't ever face trial. But he can't prove collusion because there was no collusion.

Give this a read. I know it's complicated, and to simple minded trumptards that means "its nothing! Just jargon I cant understand!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Counsel_investigation_(2017%E2%80%93present)#Links_between_Trump_associates_and_Russian_officials
Reply 18
We kept being told that Russian involvement in the Referendum would be a game changer. The Remainers have been leaking this for months, drip feeding it.

But the whole story turns out to be a nothingburger, and no-one seriously believes it...

https://www.ft.com/content/fbf8ab4c-e41d-11e7-97e2-916d4fbac0da

The Remainer OP knows all this and is lying.

The idea that this so called Troll factory might lead to a second referendum is laughable.

Alas I dont subscribe to FT so i cant read it, what is in the article?
I feel your argument is taking on a somewhat conspiratorial nature here... what exactly does being a remainer have to do with this idea that Russia has been playing silly buggers on the interweb?
I for one, being a remainer, dont doubt for a moment the Russians may well have been having a jolly with these so called 'troll farms' I do however find it somewhat dubious they had anything but a rather superficial effect. With that being said the result was so close who can say if they swung it or not? I stand by the premise though that if a bit of online hooliganism could effect the western votes then it is a damning indictment of the west as opposed to Russia and this witch hunt against them is little more than arse covering.
How desperate you people are to stop Britain from leaving the EU regime and taking control of their country

You know Russia gets blamed for literally everything? every election accusations of meddling (thats rich coming from the US of all places) behind Black Lives Matter and oh the alt-right.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest