Turn on thread page Beta

Response to VP77 by Her Majesty’s Secretary of State for Education watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

Response to VP77 by Her Majesty’s Secretary of State for EducationIn regards to the events surrounding the speech given by Jacob Rees-Mogg at the University of the South West of England, it goes without saying that, this Government shall, always, strongly condemn the usage of physical violence and intimidation in order to advance a political or socioeconomic agenda - especially against dedicated Members of Parliament; we acknowledge, and respect, that it is human nature for different people to have different opinions and viewpoints - however, any disparities or disputes between beliefs and opinions must be resolved, through civilised and mature debate and discussion.

In regards to the call to create an ‘Office for Students’, it is TSR canon that the actions of the Government and of Parliament shall apply to the Model House of Commons, unless contradicted by a MHoC ruling, amendment or piece of legislation - which shall always take precedence. Ergo, the ‘Office for Students’ came in being on the 1st of January 2018. That being said,we greatly value the concept of free speech - especially within the higher education sector; a sector in which it is natural for students, having grown in maturity and development, to question the dynamic equilibrium of global, national, local and institutional affairs. We aim to fortify the concept of free speech throughout the higher education sector but we must ensure that we are not too harsh or brash in our actions; legal provisions for the freedom of speech in universities, polytechnics and colleges already exist in the Education (No. 2) Act 1986 - specifically, section 43 in which it states:

“Every individual and body of persons concerned in the government of any establishment to which this section applies shall take such steps as are reasonably practicable to ensure that freedom of speech within the law is secured for members, students and employees of the establishment and for visiting speakers.

The duty imposed by subsection (1) above includes (in particular) the duty to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that the use of any premises of the establishment is not denied to any individual or body of persons on any ground connected with—

(a) the beliefs or views of that individual or of any member of that body; or

(b) the policy or objectives of that body.”

We shall aim to, building on the Education (No. 2) Act 1986, introduce ‘a defined procedure of remediation’ for non-compliance and the unequivocal obstruction of free speech - operating on a scale, depending on frequency and severity.

On first notification of non-compliance and obstruction of free speech, we shall, via the Office for Students, dictate an internal warning requiring that distinctive action is taken including but not limited to transient and basic disciplinary action against the concerned member(s) of staff or departments; the concerned educational institution would have to submit proof of, for example a written warning to staff, to the Department for Education, via the Office for Students.

Where the response is not satisfactory or where indications of non-compliance and the obstruction of free speech are repeated or of ‘substantive concern’, the Department for Education shall institute a public denouncement of the actions of the educational institution.

Where non-compliance is continued, despite public denouncement, or the obstruction of free speech is deemed to be ‘substantially detrimental and representative of a institutionalised culture of obstruction’, the Department for Education, via the Office for Students, shall begin proceedings as to engender financial penalties; deregistration shall used only as a last resort.

All things being said, freedom of speech comes with distinct responsibilities - to listen; to acknowledge; and, above all, to have reasoned and civil discussions.

ReputationRep:
    An impressive response.

ReputationRep:
    Hear, hear!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    An impressive response.
    Hear, hear.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I must join my fellow members of the House in commending the Secretary of State for Education on their rather detailed response. This statement has clearly been well thought-out by the right honourable gentleman.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    An impressive response.
    I can only assume the response was contracted out as this is clearly not a product of this TSR government. I would also assume that the petition in question was Joe's given it asks for things that are already Canon to be done.

ReputationRep:
    I thank the Secretary for his response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I can only assume the response was contracted out as this is clearly not a product of this TSR government. I would also assume that the petition in question was Joe's given it asks for things that are already Canon to be done.
    It was Hazzer’s.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Connor27)
    It was Hazzer’s.
    I honestly considered editing to suggest that too given he's one of the worst with these things.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    An impressive response.
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Hear, hear!
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    Hear, hear.
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    I must join my fellow members of the House in commending the Secretary of State for Education on their rather detailed response. This statement has clearly been well thought-out by the right honourable gentleman.
    I thank all members, and others, for their comments; it is much appreciated.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.