Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    Thoughts on this article? https://www.youthsporttrust.org/news...n-secondary-pe

It's obviously not ideal, but equally I'm not sure school PE is always the best way to get young people active. More funding for teenagers to access sport/ activities outside school would be the ideal IMO.

However, GCSE content has increased in almost every subject, and exam changes mean that there's a lot of pressure on schools to help students pass. Schools have to timetable some PE, but I can see why this might become the go-to for interventions. It's often the only unexamined subject. If these interventions need to take place, when else could they happen?

It's not mentioned in the article, but I wonder if funding is also an issue. If schools are struggling to replace/provide equipment and maintain sports facilities, it might make sense for them to cut PE time. Schools are also losing outside space due to having to cram in more students in some cases. This may mean that it's less possible for schools to run multiple PE classes simultaneously. They might also be using PE teachers to cover staffing gaps elsewhere.

It's clearly not great but I think it's a symptom of the state of Education in the UK right now.

In the technology era PE is essential. We will be sitting on chairs all day 9-5 when we finish school.

Good, I hated pe lol
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.