Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Simples. What is better/healthier to cook food in? Your normal foods, chicken, pork, egg etc

Google suggests olive generally but my mum says vegetable is better.

Anyone have some real clarity over it?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you're cooking. Olive oil typically has a strong flavour and sometimes that's not what you need. Then there's if you're frying, baking, dressing etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a simpleton. Just cooking meats and eggs in the pan. Potentially some veggies. That's about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toums)
    I'm a simpleton. Just cooking meats and eggs in the pan. Potentially some veggies. That's about it.
    High temp cooking (browning meat, roasting etc): Veg oil
    Low temp cooking (e.g light sauteeing, sweating etc): Olive oil

Don't worry about which is healthier if all you're using a reasonable quantity of it, the important thing is using the correct oil for the type of cooking you're doing at the time. Olive oil cannot handle high temperature cooking without tasting acrid, while veg or sunflower oil doesn't have the same pleasant taste as olive or rapeseed oil for preparing dressings or sauces.

ReputationRep:
    Olive oil can be used for both frying, cooking and salad dressing. whereas vegetable oil is used for cooking as well as in supplements. So they both have their own additional quality and are great for health.

ReputationRep:
    I like peanut oil.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.