Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm an AS student looking at universities and their courses, and I've got a couple of career ideas I'd like to consider pursuing. My passions lie with movies, entertainment the media so I'd ideally like to study in that area, but my problem is that careers in that area are very hard to come by. When I read about a joint degree in English and Film I became really interested as it would allow me to study in the subject area i'm passionate about while also studying English to look at more written forms of storytelling and how English links to film itself. I'm looking at the course from York St John University by the way, and I'm studying History, Media, Film Studies and DT. Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AndrewMP)
    Hi, I'm an AS student looking at universities and their courses, and I've got a couple of career ideas I'd like to consider pursuing. My passions lie with movies, entertainment the media so I'd ideally like to study in that area, but my problem is that careers in that area are very hard to come by. When I read about a joint degree in English and Film I became really interested as it would allow me to study in the subject area i'm passionate about while also studying English to look at more written forms of storytelling and how English links to film itself. I'm looking at the course from York St John University by the way, and I'm studying History, Media, Film Studies and DT. Thanks!
    Not sure what your point is?
    Whether its a good idea or whether you can do it it without English A level?

It doesnt state any specific A levels. there will be plenty of others that involve film. You could find yourself struggling if you arent used to writing essays or studying books.

Do make sure you have done your research., an getting the feeling you will benefit from doing more.

https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/study/under...y-requirements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Not sure what your point is?
    Whether its a good idea or whether you can do it it without English A level?

It doesnt state any specific A levels. there will be plenty of others that involve film. You could find yourself struggling if you arent used to writing essays or studying books.

Do make sure you have done your research., an getting the feeling you will benefit from doing more.

https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/study/under...y-requirements
    I have already done research. I even e-mailed the university but didn't get a reply. I asked on here because their website gave very little information. "The minimum entry requirements for this course are:
    96 - 112 UCAS Tariff points", that's the only information I was working with.
    Apologies for not being clear, my point was whether I'd be considered for the course without the A-Level.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AndrewMP)
    I have already done research. I even e-mailed the university but didn't get a reply. I asked on here because their website gave very little information. "The minimum entry requirements for this course are:
    96 - 112 UCAS Tariff points", that's the only information I was working with.
    Apologies for not being clear, my point was whether I'd be considered for the course without the A-Level.
    If there is no A level stated then you just need the points in any subject.

It would be helpful if you had done some sort of humanities A level, but it is silent, so any subjects imo.
    It is quite a step up if you only have GCSE to degree level. Be warned.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.