Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My parents think my CV may look 'weak' if I drop French GCSE, would dropping French massively effect me later on in life?? Is it going to restrict me from certain things? etc

ReputationRep:
    :laugh: :laugh::laugh:
    :laugh::laugh:

you won't even put gcses on your cv when you've got work experience.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nope your parents are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)

ahaha lets hope so

ReputationRep:
    If you wanna do languages, yeah it'll look bad.

Wanna do anything else? Screw French.
    Also, nobody will look at your GCSE grades after A-Levels/Apprenticeship, and especially Uni.
    Don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoritoEvie)
    If you wanna do languages, yeah it'll look bad.

Wanna do anything else? Screw French.
    Also, nobody will look at your GCSE grades after A-Levels/Apprenticeship, and especially Uni.
    Don't worry about it.
    okay thats good to know, yeh not doing anything to do with languages

ReputationRep:
    No but some unis want a language so if French is your only language then might limit some options
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by someoneinneed333)
    okay thats good to know, yeh not doing anything to do with languages
    I mean, I did French at IB (same as GCSE) and it's absolutely useless to me now... I didn't continue it and nobody cares I got a 5 in it (B). I can't speak it very well now but nobody cares about that either. So... it's really not worth stressing over something you know you don't want to continue in the future, especially when it doesn't really matter for what you wanna do.

(Original post by rainbowcat1437)
    No but some unis want a language so if French is your only language then might limit some options
    I think this is in very rare cases. I haven't seen it before and I know tons of people who have applied to uni... only one needed it, because she's doing French & Spanish at uni.

No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)

Don't you believe it. I graduated more years ago than i care to remember and still occasionally find an application form which asks me to list all of my qualifications back to GCSE. Really.

And to list all previous work experience, including while at school and including voluntary work.

I also know of people who, despite having years of work experience, have still been asked to produce GCSE certiificates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoritoEvie)
    I think this is in very rare cases. I haven't seen it before and I know tons of people who have applied to uni... only one needed it, because she's doing French & Spanish at uni.
    In which case it shouldn’t make a difference as other have said

ReputationRep:
    Having spoken to my brothers who are 27 and 25, they said at their most recent job interviews they weren't even asked about A Levels. Just their most recent job.
    My older brother said GCSEs mean absolutely nothing past university, if that (unless perhaps if you're going for Oxbridge...)
    HOWEVER
    There is ONE UNIVERSITY (I'M SO SORRY CANNOT REMEMBER WHICH) THAT REQUIRES ONE LANGUAGE AT GCSE TO STUDY THERE. I THINK IT IS LSE BUT PLEASE LOOK IT UP BEFORE YOU DECIDE.

ReputationRep:
    I would doubt it matters unless you want to go to one of the 'top' universities. If this is the case, I am told that having the English Baccalaureate (maths, english, sciences, a language and a humanity) is useful, and having as many GCSEs as possible is good, but even for 'top' unis you don't need more than 10. However, if you think that continuing it will harm your grades in other subjects I would say definitely drop it + no one will know on your cv that you dropped it.

ReputationRep:
    There are only 2 GCSEs that matter, English and maths

After A Levels people don't care about your other GCSEs
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Are you doing any other languages? Realistically speaking, not having a GCSE in French is unlikely to have any serious impact on your CV but I do think there is a lot of value in studying another language. So I would encourage you to think twice before dropping it, because you never know when another language might come in use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluebells1)
    Having spoken to my brothers who are 27 and 25, they said at their most recent job interviews they weren't even asked about A Levels. Just their most recent job.
    My older brother said GCSEs mean absolutely nothing past university, if that (unless perhaps if you're going for Oxbridge...)
    HOWEVER
    There is ONE UNIVERSITY (I'M SO SORRY CANNOT REMEMBER WHICH) THAT REQUIRES ONE LANGUAGE AT GCSE TO STUDY THERE. I THINK IT IS LSE BUT PLEASE LOOK IT UP BEFORE YOU DECIDE.
    It's UCL isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanibonani)
    It's UCL isn't it?
    It is indeed.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.