Turn on thread page Beta

Getting Veterinary Medicine experience watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how young to start getting veterinary medicine experience, (obviously I want to get as much as I can) and what kind of experience to do first, e.g. should I start with small practise, or farm work? Also how much experience is good enough. I know it says on Uni websites the requirements, I think the highest in the UK is something like 10 weeks (Liverpool), but obviously everyone will have done this, so how much would get you considered to have done good? Also how much is a 'week' in terms of hours? All feedback is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a vet as well but I think you should start small, anything animal related really, I did my work experience at the stables so yeah. I’m not hundred percent sure with how many hours.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 and will be applying for vet med in October
    This thread may be useful to you
    Core areas for work experience to look into are in veterinary practices (small and large animal), stables, kennels/catteries/rescue centres, lambing and dairy, though I think a really good place to start is by getting some work experience in a veterinary practice. This was the first placement I did and it helped me confirm that vet med was route I definitely wanted to take.
    And 8 hours is worth one day or work experience, so 40 hours=1 week.

ReputationRep:
    Also, Liverpool now only ask for 5 weeks experience now- 3 weeks husbandry and 2 weeks clinical.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, really helpful. Does anyone know of anywhere I could get experience in Glasgow/Lanarkshire ? Thanks again
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    In addition to the link that Buzzyambee has given you, this thread has a few useful websites and directories to help you find placements.

It doesn't matter what you do first. My first placement was at a pet shop but it really doesn't make a difference at all. There are merits of starting with either husbandry or clinical practice, so whatever you do, just make sure you make the most of it!

'Good enough' has too many factors to be able to quantify. It will depend on how much effort you put in at your placements as well as how much the people that you are applying against have done. I've seen people get over 50 weeks (or even higher if they take a gap year) and get in, and conversely I've seen people get an offer with as few as six. I will always advocate for always trying to do more but ultimately it is a case of quality over quantity. 50 weeks spent at the same farm, doing the same thing every day won't be as valuable as 20 weeks at different places, where you actively get involved and ask questions and take notes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.