The Student Room Group

New GCSE system?

Hello, just wondering what this new level system is for GCSE's?

I'm 22 so no idea what's going on.
Reply 1
Hey there:smile:
I’m 16 so (unfortunately) I know exactly what’s going on.
Here’s the grade converter kinda thing x38242075-A84C-4B89-8C84-6E73B861D657.jpg.jpeg
9 = above A*
8 = A*
7 = A
6 = Strong B
5 = Low B/ High C
4 = C = Pass
3 = D
2 = E
1 = U
Letters are replaced with numbers - 1-9.
9 is the highest and 1 is the lowest.
A 4 is regarded as a standard pass and 5 is a 'good' pass.
A 9 is effectively an A**. I think the top 3% get it.

Oh the courses suck as well. They are nearly all linear - most or all of our grade is decided my exams at the end of yr 11. I think I only have coursework for music (60%) and PE (40%). And the courses are harder with more content fml.
Original post by xoxcm
Hey there:smile:
I’m 16 so (unfortunately) I know exactly what’s going on.
Here’s the grade converter kinda thing x38242075-A84C-4B89-8C84-6E73B861D657.jpg.jpeg

Was there any reason for using this system over the old letter system?Does it make any difference?

Has the curriculum changed significantly or at all?

Thanks for the informative posts btw :smile:
Original post by TheRealAdam1
Was there any reason for using this system over the old letter system?Does it make any difference?

Thanks for the informative posts btw :smile:

The curriculum hasn't changed much at all. It makes basically no difference except about 9s and 8s - 9 is a high A*. Now it requires more marks to get the highest grade - this is meant to show who the best of the best are.
Reply 7
I think the government changed it to make it harder as too many people were getting top grades so it was harder to find which students were the very very best.
It’s changed significantly, and it’s much, much harder. My friends even 1 or 2 years older don’t understand some of the work we have to do now :smile:)
Original post by xoxcm
I think the government changed it to make it harder as too many people were getting top grades so it was harder to find which students were the very very best.
It’s changed significantly, and it’s much, much harder. My friends even 1 or 2 years older don’t understand some of the work we have to do now :smile:)

Surely it doesn't matter how much more difficult they make the exams because everything is standardised anyway, i.e a fixed % of students will always get each grade bracket.

If every student finds an exam difficult, they'll just lower the boundaries to make the set % achieve said grades.
Reply 9
trust me it makes no sense:/ it’s ridiculous they’re just tryna raise the bar i guess🤷🏼*♀️🤷🏼*♀️it means that too students such as myself have to work harder, and also people who are getting C grades work a bit harder too so that they get 5s instead of 4s as a 5 is a “good pass”
Original post by xoxcm
trust me it makes no sense:/ it’s ridiculous they’re just tryna raise the bar i guess🤷🏼*♀️🤷🏼*♀️it means that too students such as myself have to work harder, and also people who are getting C grades work a bit harder too so that they get 5s instead of 4s as a 5 is a “good pass”

I suppose it could create a domino effect as you've described. How are you finding it?

Have a look at the right hand side of this page:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=28066-changes-to-a-levels-and-gcses
Was there any reason for using this system over the old letter system?

Is there ever a reason for education reform? Always yes but that doesn't mean it's a very good reason.

I'd say it's a significant change.:yes:

Spoiler

I am in yr 10 I think it is more breadth of topic and more six marker question but on the whole it bridges the gap between GCSE and Alevels . I M hoping to study science and maths in ALevel so I wd be more atuned to in depth learning then
Reply 13
Well I’m finding it very difficult....here’s my mock results:
Business studies: A*
English Language: 9
English Literature: 6
French: 6
History: 8
Maths: 7
Religious Education: 8
Science: 7/7
Original post by xoxcm
Well I’m finding it very difficult....here’s my mock results:
Business studies: A*
English Language: 9
English Literature: 6
French: 6
History: 8
Maths: 7
Religious Education: 8
Science: 7/7

According to the diagram you showed me earlier, you seem to be doing very well. I always struggled with English lit too, got a B back in the day in that.
Reply 15
well thank you:smile:
yeah english lit is a difficult one but just gotta revise i guess🤷🏼*♀️
-Ceara x
Reply 16
well thank you:smile:
yeah english lit is a difficult one but just gotta revise i guess🤷🏼*♀️
-Ceara x
9 is the top 20% of 7s and 8s in that GCSE

Quick Reply

Latest