Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I applied to the following universities:

- Imperial College London
    - Bristol
    - Southampton
    - King's College London
    - Surrey

all for a BSc in Computer Science (G400).

I've received 4/5 offers, all but Imperial College who are yet to respond after I took the applicant test but I'm not holding my breath- I doubt I've gotten an offer.

I don't know which universities I should put as my firm/insurance. Other than Imperial, Bristol is the best university I applied to, and they offered me AAB. Meanwhile, Southampton have offered me A*AA or A*A*B. The other two are Surrey (ABB) and King's (AAB).

All I know is that I won't put King's down because they've given me the same offer as a university that is far superior in CS (Bristol), and that I don't actually like Surrey so much.

This means that if I was working off of offers, I'd put Southampton as my firm and Bristol as my insurance... but I prefer the course at Bristol and they're always ranked higher. On the other hand, Southampton have better PC labs and I also like the campus more than Bristol's multiple buildings.

I don't really know where to go from here. Any advice? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julianaakkh)

- Bristol
    - Southampton
    - King's College London
    - Surrey

I've received 4/5 offers, all but Imperial College who are yet to respond after I took the applicant test but I'm not holding my breath- I doubt I've gotten an offer.

I don't know which universities I should put as my firm/insurance. Other than Imperial, Bristol is the best university I applied to, and they offered me AAB. Meanwhile, Southampton have offered me A*AA or A*A*B. The other two are Surrey (ABB) and King's (AAB).

All I know is that I won't put King's down because they've given me the same offer as a university that is far superior in CS (Bristol), and that I don't actually like Surrey so much.

This means that if I was working off of offers, I'd put Southampton as my firm and Bristol as my insurance... but I prefer the course at Bristol and they're always ranked higher. On the other hand, Southampton have better PC labs and I also like the campus more than Bristol's multiple buildings.

I don't know why you say Bristol is always ranked higher than Southampton. It is only this year that Bristol have only just gone above Southampton in the rankings and to be honest there has never really been much between them in any of the tables. Not that rankings matter that much except for Imperial and Oxbridge.

I haven't seen Bristol's but Southampton does have a state of the art Computer Lab and a much nicer campus. You're going to be there for at 3 years and as there's not much to choose between them just go where you think you'll be happiest, taking everything into account.

ReputationRep:

- Bristol
    - Southampton
    - King's College London
    - Surrey

As the other poster said, I would also say that Southampton has a much better overall rep for CS than Bristol, not sure I would put too much stock in rankings in this instance. Southampton arguably has the best CS program outside of Oxbridge/Imperial (and it could even give Imperial a run for it's money). You can't go wrong with either really, but I would say for me Southampton > Bristol for CS.

Edit: I would also say, if you want to put stock in rankings, that some rankings still have Southampton ranked higher for CS:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    As the other poster said, I would also say that Southampton has a much better overall rep for CS than Bristol, not sure I would put too much stock in rankings in this instance. Southampton arguably has the best CS program outside of Oxbridge/Imperial (and it could even give Imperial a run for it's money). You can't go wrong with either really, but I would say for me Southampton > Bristol for CS.

Edit: I would also say, if you want to put stock in rankings, that some rankings still have Southampton ranked higher for CS:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

Oh right, that's strange, I was mainly looking at this website:
    https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...uter%20Science

where Bristol has been ranked higher for the past 5 years, albeit not by much (although this year in particular Southampton has fallen fairly low for some reason). Bristol tends to be top 5, except for 2018 and 2015.

So, do you think it'd be a good idea to put Southampton as my firm and Bristol as my insurance, then? The fact remains I prefer the course at Bristol, however, not by enough to make me want to go to a university that's considered "worse" than another- I may as well go to the university that at least by consensus is considered better.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, that's strange, I was mainly looking at this website:
    https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...uter%20Science

where Bristol has been ranked higher for the past 5 years, albeit not by much (although this year in particular Southampton has fallen fairly low for some reason). Bristol tends to be top 5, except for 2018 and 2015.

So, do you think it'd be a good idea to put Southampton as my firm and Bristol as my insurance, then? The fact remains I prefer the course at Bristol, however, not by enough to make me want to go to a university that's considered "worse" than another- I may as well go to the university that at least by consensus is considered better.
    To be level honest, it won't make much difference to your career as both of these unis are pretty well respected for CS. I would say base it on the modules that seem most interesting, the experience other students have had on the course and placement opportunities. The last thing I would base it on is "reputation" as it is subjective, and can change year on year. So when you graduate in 3 or 4 years time Southampton could be higher than Bristol, or vice versa. There's not much you can do about it.

I would go with Southampton but that's just me and based on working with people who did Postgrad there. To a person they were exceptionally knowledgable and talented.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 19, 2018

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.