The Student Room Group

Building my application/CV

Hey! I’m a year 11 student and I’m looking at trying to help add colour on to my cv, things besides from grades and my school doesn’t happen to offer many extra curriculars :/ I’ve booked NCS for the summer and plan on doing DofE in sixth form as that’s when my school provide it however I was hoping to get some more impressive things but I’m not sure what to do, I plan on going on to study in a Russell Group University and for me to do this I need colour on my CV.
Reply 1
Hey,
I’m in year 11 too; I’m doing weekly voluntary work at a local hospice so maybe something like
that?
Original post by safaabadar
Hey! I’m a year 11 student and I’m looking at trying to help add colour on to my cv, things besides from grades and my school doesn’t happen to offer many extra curriculars :/ I’ve booked NCS for the summer and plan on doing DofE in sixth form as that’s when my school provide it however I was hoping to get some more impressive things but I’m not sure what to do, I plan on going on to study in a Russell Group University and for me to do this I need colour on my CV.

What do you plan to study?

Extra curriculars are not important for most subjects. Universities are looking for evidence of super curriculars - interests and activities related to your subject that are beyond the curriculum
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
What do you plan to study?

Extra curriculars are not important for most subjects. Universities are looking for evidence of super curriculars - interests and activities related to your subject that are beyond the curriculum

I plan on studying politics, I was part of the local youth council for a while however not much of that helped
Original post by safaabadar
I plan on studying politics, I was part of the local youth council for a while however not much of that helped

Take an interest in politics. Read newspapers and blogs and keep a log of what you have read and your thoughts about it. Watch online lectures, go to public lectures, get yourself in the audience for question time/any questions when it’s recorded near you, take an online course (mooc).

Do your research into different degree courses early. Find out about modules, what you’ll study. Find out who will be teaching you and what they are currently researching. Read their research.

Don’t do ncs/doe because you think it will help your university application. It won’t. If you think it’ll be interesting and/or enjoyable then do it for those reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest