Turn on thread page Beta

Which should I pick for GCSE, Computer Science or History? watch

ReputationRep:
    I’ve picked my GCSEs - Spanish, Economics,Art and History - but my computing teacher recommended I change to computer science because I understand it well. I enjoy both subjects and am predicted a B in both, so I can’t decide if I what to switch history to computer science, or stick with history.

ReputationRep:
    computer science then uf you went onto a degree you would be highly sought after as there are less people with the specific fields required so you could be paid higher as long as your good at it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    comp sci, history is dull.

ReputationRep:
    What year are you in?

If you are in year 10 then leave it

If you are in year 9 then do it if you want to. Dont base it purely on what your teacher says though, think about whether you enjoy it or not.

Some people find history dull, doesn't mean you will.

My Mum said that the GCSE's I want to pick would be incredibly boring for her, but for me they are really interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ameliastone)
    I’ve picked my GCSEs - Spanish, Economics,Art and History - but my computing teacher recommended I change to computer science because I understand it well. I enjoy both subjects and am predicted a B in both, so I can’t decide if I what to switch history to computer science, or stick with history.
    I did both computer science and history gcse and I enjoyed both lots. As a requirement for most sixth forms though, to do comp sci at a level you don't need a gcse in it. Pick the one you enjoy the most
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Honestly just pick whichever one you enjoy more. At GCSE, the actual subjects you choose have little to no significant impact on any future applications (provided they are majoritively academic). All most unis or employers will care about is the physical no. of a*s/a's/b's/c's etc, and since you are predicted a b in both this isn't a big issue.

I took history and loved it and have friends who took comp sci who also really loved it. If you have any contacts in year 11 or 12 who did/are doing those at GCSE, might be worth asking them how they found the subject and what the teaching is like at your school. Some subjects can change somewhat from KS3 to GCSE.

If you're still stuck, perhaps look briefly at the actual spec of the GCSE's in each and see if the content is something you have a preference for. E.g., don't know about new history GCSE's, but on the old ones, some syllabuses focused entirely on ancient history whilst others only on post-1920's history.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.