Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I've been really thinking about whether I should take SL Maths or Maths Studies for IB; I think that I'm completely capable of taking SL Maths, since I'm doing pretty well with my Maths IGCSE - I got an A* in mocks and have a good history in the subject - but I'm wondering whether it's worth taking.

When I had my "subject interviews" with my teachers they advised me to take Maths Studies because it's so much easier, plus it's a 1-year course. They assured me that there was no "stigma" surrounding it but from what I've read, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I want to do Law at Cambridge, so I know that maths isn't all that relevant anyway, but I've heard that Cambridge is a bit more anti-IB than other UK universities. So my question is: will taking Maths Studies affect my chance at getting into Cambridge? Should I take SL Maths as an extra plus on my application, or is it so unimportant that it isn't worth the extra year of studying more advanced maths?

(TLR will taking Maths Studies look bad on my application if I want to do Law at Cambridge?)

ReputationRep:
    What the heck is maths studies?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Btw, rule of thumb is that taking a .... studies means the subject is not prestigious
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by EnglishMuffin_)
    Hey guys,

I've been really thinking about whether I should take SL Maths or Maths Studies for IB; I think that I'm completely capable of taking SL Maths, since I'm doing pretty well with my Maths IGCSE - I got an A* in mocks and have a good history in the subject - but I'm wondering whether it's worth taking.

When I had my "subject interviews" with my teachers they advised me to take Maths Studies because it's so much easier, plus it's a 1-year course. They assured me that there was no "stigma" surrounding it but from what I've read, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I want to do Law at Cambridge, so I know that maths isn't all that relevant anyway, but I've heard that Cambridge is a bit more anti-IB than other UK universities. So my question is: will taking Maths Studies affect my chance at getting into Cambridge? Should I take SL Maths as an extra plus on my application, or is it so unimportant that it isn't worth the extra year of studying more advanced maths?

(TLR will taking Maths Studies look bad on my application if I want to do Law at Cambridge?)
    Probably best to check direct with a couple of Cambridge colleges, but I expect it won't matter.

By the way, I've moved your post to the Cambridge forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Tagging Peterhouse Admissions
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi, thanks for the summons!

For courses with a small mathematical element, we would prefer SL Mathematics. For courses with a large mathematical component we would ideally want HL mathematics. For Law, maths or maths studies won't make too much of a difference but if you're doing well at GCSE and think you could cope with SL maths then you might want to consider taking it. It is far from uncommon for people to change thier minds about which subject they wish to study through year 12 and 13 and taking SL maths will give you more options.

We're not anti-IB, we make lots of offers to IB students each year

Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.