Turn on thread page Beta

US uni applications?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, was wondering if anyone knew how easy it would be to apply to a university in the USA instead of the UK?? Like do I need to do SATs as well or can I just transfer UCAS points and stuff?? Also how different are the environments and the teaching styles/quality
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
    I'm not an expert so please wait for a reply from someone who knows a little bit more about the topic, but...

As far as I'm aware, you do have to take the SAT, but that is easily enough arranged. However, the biggest problem is with funding.

As a non-US citzen, you will be expected to pay the full fee without a tuition/maintenence loan, and US universities can be pretty damn expensive, so unless you have 100k+ of savings, it' going to be difficult. You could, of course, apply for scholarships, but unless you excel in a particular sport then this will again be difficult.

If you're dead set on studying in the US, your best bet may be to attend a UK uni that offers a year of study in the states.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by amenaboyd)
    Hi everyone, was wondering if anyone knew how easy it would be to apply to a university in the USA instead of the UK?? Like do I need to do SATs as well or can I just transfer UCAS points and stuff?? Also how different are the environments and the teaching styles/quality
    I've moved your post into the North America forum. Have a look at the stickied threads in here for some tips.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceGeek1878)
    I'm not an expert so please wait for a reply from someone who knows a little bit more about the topic, but...

As far as I'm aware, you do have to take the SAT, but that is easily enough arranged. However, the biggest problem is with funding.

As a non-US citzen, you will be expected to pay the full fee without a tuition/maintenence loan, and US universities can be pretty damn expensive, so unless you have 100k+ of savings, it' going to be difficult. You could, of course, apply for scholarships, but unless you excel in a particular sport then this will again be difficult.

If you're dead set on studying in the US, your best bet may be to attend a UK uni that offers a year of study in the states.
    Your information about tuition costs is a bit incorrect. Yes, they are expensive, but some universities (quite a lot actually) give extremely good aid to international students. While they are probably need-aware when it comes to admissions, they still can provide you with a lot of financial aid. I was admitted and all I have to pay for are my books, supplies, and other personal expenses: the cost of attendance for the university I am attending is ~$75,000 a year (tuition, housing, food, estimated personal expenses, travel) and I have been given a grant worth ~$70,000 a year. Which means I'll graduate pretty much debt free.

Take the SAT or ACT (take a look which one you prefer). Start researching and looking at universities (look at ones which offer financial aid for international students). Also take time to look at the common app and look at some guides for filling it out. Also - talk to your teachers and parents! Your parents may have to pay (depending on your financial background) and your teachers will need to help you with your application. Google is your best friend here! There is lots of information about this. Check the Fulbright website!

Good luck and have fun!! Message me if you want more information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theholychilli)
    Your information about tuition costs is a bit incorrect. Yes, they are expensive, but some universities (quite a lot actually) give extremely good aid to international students. While they are probably need-aware when it comes to admissions, they still can provide you with a lot of financial aid. I was admitted and all I have to pay for are my books, supplies, and other personal expenses: the cost of attendance for the university I am attending is ~$75,000 a year (tuition, housing, food, estimated personal expenses, travel) and I have been given a grant worth ~$70,000 a year. Which means I'll graduate pretty much debt free.

Take the SAT or ACT (take a look which one you prefer). Start researching and looking at universities (look at ones which offer financial aid for international students). Also take time to look at the common app and look at some guides for filling it out. Also - talk to your teachers and parents! Your parents may have to pay (depending on your financial background) and your teachers will need to help you with your application. Google is your best friend here! There is lots of information about this. Check the Fulbright website!

Good luck and have fun!! Message me if you want more information.
    ^this is perfect!

I'm also free to be messaged for any questions! Asking questions here is probs best, though. That way, everyone else can learn.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.