Turn on thread page Beta

Didn't get the job, should i leave or just let this go? watch

Ive helped out at a primary school for 2 days a week for just over a year with a view to getting a job as a teaching assistant and possibly teacher in the future. An assistant job came up atvthe school a few weeks ago and I applied but didnt get it, they gave it to someone else who hadnt worked at the school as they said she had more substantial experience

Its annoying and ive thought about leaving but just wanted advice. No matter what i tell myself i still feel bitterness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ive helped out at a primary school for 2 days a week for just over a year with a view to getting a job as a teaching assistant and possibly teacher in the future. An assistant job came up atvthe school a few weeks ago and I applied but didnt get it, they gave it to someone else who hadnt worked at the school as they said she had more substantial experience

Its annoying and ive thought about leaving but just wanted advice. No matter what i tell myself i still feel bitterness.
    Just because you volunteer at the school, doesn't mean you get first dibs on jobs there. It might seem unfair, but the person who got the job is likely to have experience actually being a TA before, or might have additional qualifications that will enable them to do more duties. You can't help it if the competition pipped you to the post; that's life.

I would suggest that if you can't get over their rejection, then leave, because it's going to affect how you act towards everyone.

(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    Just because you volunteer at the school, doesn't mean you get first dibs on jobs there. It might seem unfair, but the person who got the job is likely to have experience actually being a TA before, or might have additional qualifications that will enable them to do more duties. You can't help it if the competition pipped you to the post; that's life.

I would suggest that if you can't get over their rejection, then leave, because it's going to affect how you act towards everyone.
    I know I dont get first dibs but Id have thought volunteering for them for over a year would have gone highly in my favour. Thats why Im volunteering at the school in order to become a TA they knew that.

ReputationRep:
    I know I dont get first dibs but Id have thought volunteering for them for over a year would have gone highly in my favour. Thats why Im volunteering at the school in order to become a TA they knew that.
    Maybe they didn't think you were ready; yes you've been volunteering for over a year, but that's not full-time. If you really feel bad about it, ask them for some feedback, and then you can see what you can do from there.

(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    Maybe they didn't think you were ready; yes you've been volunteering for over a year, but that's not full-time. If you really feel bad about it, ask them for some feedback, and then you can see what you can do from there.
    Ive been ready enough for them to ask me to come in to help, sometimes more than 2 days a week, when theyve been struggling.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Ive been ready enough for them to ask me to come in to help, sometimes more than 2 days a week, when theyve been struggling.
    But none of that means there aren't going to be far more experienced people than you out there.

Ask for feedback and during the conversation make sure you ask what you could do to make yourself more competitive if an opportunity comes up in the future.

ReputationRep:
    How much experience did the other applicant have?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.