Turn on thread page Beta

Asking for a relationship on first date? watch

ReputationRep:
    I met this guy online, we’ve spoken for a bit before meeting. We had a fun first date, he was giving me positive signs. But I was taken aback when he asked me to be his girlfriend over a meal? I mean it’s the first date. I didn’t know what to say - personally I think there will need to be more dates. I’m just confused why a guy would ask this so soon - I’m not sure if it’s eagerness or desperation on his part? It just feels surreal like what young teenagers would ask each other - we are both in our mid 20s.

Would you think this is a red flag? I mean meeting someone for the first time, having some level of physical attraction and enjoying their company might make you think that you could potentially see yourself being with them long term, but never asking at the end of the first date for a relationship? I just find it strange, but then again I’ve never been in a relationship and I don’t know if this kind of thing is uncommon but occasionally happens.

Would this freak you out? I don’t know what to do about it. I nearly asked him where are the hidden cameras.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'd say its pretty unusual. It's like asking if yo'u've got the job at the end of an interview, now really good form. But if you like him I would trust your instincts about what to do next. I guess he could just be very keen which I supppse is not bad.

ReputationRep:
    This would freak me out completely. It’s way too soon.

I don’t think I’d want to see him again to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    This is very uncommon, but we don’t know if his intentions are genuine. Say no but don’t shoot him down, say you want to work in getting to know each other more and more before you get to that level. I mean what’s the worse that could happen? He could probably say fine, then perhaps say he doesn’t want to you then. Which is fine because then he didn’t deserve you to begin with, so it’s fine. I say, say no because if he cares that passionately about you and believes in a future between you two he won’t be knocked by this obstacle.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if some of that didn’t make sense, read it more than once please. I was typing really fast. Sorry.😂
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Maybe, but just suggest to go on more dates. You might not feel that you know each other enough to be in a relationship yet and that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    it could be or could not be. does he come across as clingy?

i've known two similar situations: one, where a guy, blatantly went ''let's get married at so-so place" within five minutes of meeting each other for the first time and five years later, that happens. another, where two people, who barely know each other hook up and the next day, go to a party and introduce themselves as gf/bf.

ReputationRep:
    Dodgy. Way too soon and inappropriate for the first date! Maybe find out:
    1) if he’s just never dated before (red flag)
    2) if he’s only had a highschool relationship which lasted a few years and has no clue how to date as an adult.

Follow your instincts, they’re always right.

ReputationRep:
    Did you get the feeling of "love bombing?" This is a red flag for narcissism.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be alarmed. You need a handful of dates at the very least to be sure you're compatible and will potentially work together.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.