Turn on thread page Beta

How is life with the nursing bursary? (Scotland) Is it actually £500 a month? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I can see the advantages and disadvantages, but I really don't know. So you get money you don't have to pay back (also does it actually work out to £500 a month?), but you work full time half the year whilst also keeping on top of course work. Does the bursary help make ends meet? Or have yous found yourselves need to take up work when not on placement?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lee_9797)
    I can see the advantages and disadvantages, but I really don't know. So you get money you don't have to pay back (also does it actually work out to £500 a month?), but you work full time half the year whilst also keeping on top of course work. Does the bursary help make ends meet? Or have yous found yourselves need to take up work when not on placement?
    Yes, it's about 540 per month. Honestly, I wouldn't have managed on the bursary alone. Most people either have a job or help from parents/savings. It's possible to manage on the bursary alone if you live at home, but less easy if you want to move out.

Most people do have jobs alongside the course, but whether you can balance that and studying really depends on your own personality and how much stress you can deal with.

ReputationRep:
    I managed on the bursary just fine whilst living away from home! That being said I also got maintenance loan and maintenance grant! It was tight enough but it was most certainly liveable!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Also interested in this! My biggest concern is managing my finances with limited ability to work alongside the course. It seems like most people do some bank work to get extra income, has anyone done something else to make money?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.