Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi yallll couldn't find a thread for this so thought I would make one

First of all, congratulations to everyone who has received an offer for this course!

I have received an offer to study BSc Maths with Accounting & Finance @ QMUL from September 2018. Thought it would be nice if current and prospective students for this course introduced themselves, discuss best module choices, teaching experience at QMUL, student life, career goals etc.

Feel free to post anything relating to the QMUL BSc Maths with Accounting & Finance course...

Good luck to everyone on this course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J£$U$)
    Hi yallll couldn't find a thread for this so thought I would make one

First of all, congratulations to everyone who has received an offer for this course!

I have received an offer to study BSc Maths with Accounting & Finance @ QMUL from September 2018. Thought it would be nice if current and prospective students for this course introduced themselves, discuss best module choices, teaching experience at QMUL, student life, career goals etc.

Feel free to post anything relating to the QMUL BSc Maths with Accounting & Finance course...

Good luck to everyone on this course!
    Hi there,
    i'm a first year student at QMUL studying your course. I'd say it's pretty poor, at least on the side of finance and accounting. You only get one mere accounting exemption (out of the 12 you need to qualify as an accountant if i remember correctly). During the whole degree you study two accounting modules: financial accounting (first year) and managerial accounting (2nd year). I did accounting at A level and i can say, the accounting module i've done here at qmul was very basic- covered <5% of the material i did at A level. In that respect it is relatively 'easy' to do well in the few accounting modules there are, but i feel the value of them is bad. The teaching for financial accounting is also poor. As i've said, i've done accounting at A level so have a good grasp of at least the mechanics and all. It's just bad. If i hadn't done accounting at A level i really would've struggled to learn it off the uni.

Now as for maths, it's not that great either. It's ok. I say ok because most of the modules are decent but there is one that is awfully taught, organised, everything- 'introduction to statistics'. If only there were electronic notes for this module like the rest. With this module, the only resources you have are the notes you take in lectures and a booklet (which is convoluted and not followed by the lecturer so is close to useless). Having only notes taken in lectures is problematic. This lecturer takes no feedback and just giving you a heads up that you WILL get lecturers like these.

What's more i'll be changing to single honors maths next year as i really feel like the joint honors gives no real additional value. You're still doing mostly maths modules regardless if you're doing joint it's just that you have a few accounting and finance modules (which you could pick anyway doing a maths degree under your optional modules). Doing a joint just gives you fewer optional modules to choose from. That said, i'd advise you either do maths or if you're interested in finance/accounting consider maybe management and accounting or a course that primarily focuses on these disciplines.

Now academics aside, the social life for me has been practically non-existent. I'm living at home so this definitely won't be the case for everyone. But still, for the average student on my course the social life seems to be not that far off a sixth form student's with the occasional night out here and there.

If you have anymore specific questions i'd be happy to answer as honestly as i can. You sure got a response now eh? Haha. I know this response must come across really negative but i just spewed out what i had on my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blop129)
    Hi there,
    i'm a first year student at QMUL studying your course. I'd say it's pretty poor, at least on the side of finance and accounting. You only get one mere accounting exemption (out of the 12 you need to qualify as an accountant if i remember correctly). During the whole degree you study two accounting modules: financial accounting (first year) and managerial accounting (2nd year). I did accounting at A level and i can say, the accounting module i've done here at qmul was very basic- covered <5% of the material i did at A level. In that respect it is relatively 'easy' to do well in the few accounting modules there are, but i feel the value of them is bad. The teaching for financial accounting is also poor. As i've said, i've done accounting at A level so have a good grasp of at least the mechanics and all. It's just bad. If i hadn't done accounting at A level i really would've struggled to learn it off the uni.

Now as for maths, it's not that great either. It's ok. I say ok because most of the modules are decent but there is one that is awfully taught, organised, everything- 'introduction to statistics'. If only there were electronic notes for this module like the rest. With this module, the only resources you have are the notes you take in lectures and a booklet (which is convoluted and not followed by the lecturer so is close to useless). Having only notes taken in lectures is problematic. This lecturer takes no feedback and just giving you a heads up that you WILL get lecturers like these.

What's more i'll be changing to single honors maths next year as i really feel like the joint honors gives no real additional value. You're still doing mostly maths modules regardless if you're doing joint it's just that you have a few accounting and finance modules (which you could pick anyway doing a maths degree under your optional modules). Doing a joint just gives you fewer optional modules to choose from. That said, i'd advise you either do maths or if you're interested in finance/accounting consider maybe management and accounting or a course that primarily focuses on these disciplines.

Now academics aside, the social life for me has been practically non-existent. I'm living at home so this definitely won't be the case for everyone. But still, for the average student on my course the social life seems to be not that far off a sixth form student's with the occasional night out here and there.

If you have anymore specific questions i'd be happy to answer as honestly as i can. You sure got a response now eh? Haha. I know this response must come across really negative but i just spewed out what i had on my mind.
    Hi,

Thanks for your response!
    To be honest, your response hasn't come across at negative at all. Instead i consider your response to be very informative which is always helpful...I hope your answers to my questions doesn't put us both off the degree. Lol

When i heard that the course is accredited i thought we would definitely get more than a mere 1 accounting exam exemption after graduating. I thought we would get a LOT more (like 3-5)...but hey, it's better than no exemption at all.

You mentioned that we study financial accounting (first year) and managerial accounting (2nd year). From my research this is true, but we also have to study Economics for Business (first year) and Financial Institutions (2nd year). Lucky you though :congrats:...having done A Level Accounting, I guess you're going to ace the Financial accounting exam!! Unfortunately for me, i haven't done A Level Accounting but i have the basic knowledge gained by doing some private study.

From the QMUL site, i can see that:

1) Financial accounting is 60% examination and 40% coursework.
    2) Economics for Business is 60% examination and 40% coursework
    3) Introduction to Probability has a week 3 & week 8 test
    4) Introduction to Statistics has a mid-term test AND makes use of a statistical computer package.

So what i would like to know are:

1) Is the Financial Accounting coursework just solving problem sheets?
    2) Is the Economics for Business coursework also just solving problem sheets?
    3) How good is the teaching for Probability compared to that for Statistics?
    4) Is there really a mid term test for 'Introduction to Statistics' and if so have you done the Statistics mid-term test already?

You say the teaching for 'Introduction to Statistics' is awfully taught, but isn't the Maths Student Support useful for countering this problem? Can't we buy an additional text book to help?

To spice up the social life, you could join the Maths society...I gather they run numerous social events throughout the year including an annual trip abroad.:awesome:

Again thanks for your insight and honest response. I hope to hear back from you again.

P.S. Good luck with your course change next year

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.