Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been thinking about applying for such positions and have been speaking to one of the many current Firm Ambassadors at my university.

I wondered, is it wise to apply for multiple firms? Unlike insight days and vacation schemes, I can attend multiple providing they do not clash. Provding reasoning for clashes would have some detriment, but (wishful thinking) I got offered multiple roles, turning a firm down would not be very good for my relations with a firm - especially if the current ambassador reccommends me.

On the flip side, I would want to stand the best chance possible of landing a role. Also, the firms are so big that it probably would not have much of an affect when it comes to training contracts - unless I am mistaken.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Do note that most campus rep positions are only available to first years going in to second year. Their interviews often happen in early summer, during or after first year exams.

You can't be an ambassador for more than one firm. So you can apply for multiple positions, but only accept one in the end.

Bear in mind that the overwhelming majority of brand ambassadors have had some experience with the firm through an insight scheme, or, where the firm doesn't have one, an open day. Of course, this isn't a hard requirement, but such schemes do help you meet the grad rec people and allow the firm to get a sense of how good you are in the working environment. So maybe restrict your applications to the ambassador positions at the firms you will have insight scheme'd at?

I don't think that a firm will look down on you if it offers you a position and you have to turn them down because of a conflict. I'm pretty sure that HR everywhere realise that their firm is in a hierarchy, and that people are likely to choose e.g. the opportunity to be an MC ambassador over a large City firm ambassador.

On a thought... you could be extra sneaky and interview at multiple firms for their ambassador roles, without disclosing the dates to the other firms. You then accept the position that you like, and then get back to the firm you're gonna reject saying that you accepted an offer for a position after that second firm's interview, but before that firm got back to you. I'm sure that J-SP will tell us if this a good way of going about things

ReputationRep:
    I’d expect people to be interviewing at multiple firms for such roles, just like vacation schemes or training contracts. Accepting and declining the roles will be no different to a vac scheme or TC.

I wouldn’t be expecting people to accept more than one though if they were offered, and you’d need to check the T&Cs of the offer to ensure there are no issues if you did accept more than one.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Do note that most campus rep positions are only available to first years going in to second year. Their interviews often happen in early summer, during or after first year exams.

You can't be an ambassador for more than one firm. So you can apply for multiple positions, but only accept one in the end.

Bear in mind that the overwhelming majority of brand ambassadors have had some experience with the firm through an insight scheme, or, where the firm doesn't have one, an open day. Of course, this isn't a hard requirement, but such schemes do help you meet the grad rec people and allow the firm to get a sense of how good you are in the working environment. So maybe restrict your applications to the ambassador positions at the firms you will have insight scheme'd at?

I don't think that a firm will look down on you if it offers you a position and you have to turn them down because of a conflict. I'm pretty sure that HR everywhere realise that their firm is in a hierarchy, and that people are likely to choose e.g. the opportunity to be an MC ambassador over a large City firm ambassador.

On a thought... you could be extra sneaky and interview at multiple firms for their ambassador roles, without disclosing the dates to the other firms. You then accept the position that you like, and then get back to the firm you're gonna reject saying that you accepted an offer for a position after that second firm's interview, but before that firm got back to you. I'm sure that J-SP will tell us if this a good way of going about things
    Some are final years at my university but I am a first year going into second year luckily. I have applied to many insight days, haven't been successful thus far - doesn't particularly bode well. Haha
    One of the current ambassadors offered to have a chat and said she could recommend me if she thinks I would be a good candidate, so we'll see.

(Original post by J-SP)
    I’d expect people to be interviewing at multiple firms for such roles, just like vacation schemes or training contracts. Accepting and declining the roles will be no different to a vac scheme or TC.

I wouldn’t be expecting people to accept more than one though if they were offered, and you’d need to check the T&Cs of the offer to ensure there are no issues if you did accept more than one.
    That's good then. I wouldn't plan on accepting more than one; I am sure they wouldn't allow it unless someone was absolutely magnificent as it does not exactly paint the desired image to new first years.

Thank you both.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.