Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently in Y12, been giving it some thought. According to the Government's student finance calculator, I'll only receive £6,000 a year. Accommodation is, on average, £5,500 a year, leaving only £500 per year for necessities like food. Of course, that's not factoring in bills and other emergency expenses, I assume.
    Before anyone says anything, NO my parents will not give me the shortfall. We've discussed that today, and they will not pay A PENNY as they can't afford it despite earning enough to reduce my total loan. It's true, as the maintenance loan only takes into account the household income, not the total household income left behind AFTER important bills are paid. We are just scraping by.
    A part time job will be out of the question for summer, as I'm spending several weeks at summer schools. My parents also won't let me get a part time job during my A-Levels. So.
    I'm screwed.
    Options?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by thewinterstudent)
    Currently in Y12, been giving it some thought. According to the Government's student finance calculator, I'll only receive £6,000 a year. Accommodation is, on average, £5,500 a year, leaving only £500 per year for necessities like food. Of course, that's not factoring in bills and other emergency expenses, I assume.
    Before anyone says anything, NO my parents will not give me the shortfall. We've discussed that today, and they will not pay A PENNY as they can't afford it despite earning enough to reduce my total loan. It's true, as the maintenance loan only takes into account the household income, not the total household income left behind AFTER important bills are paid. We are just scraping by.
    A part time job will be out of the question for summer, as I'm spending several weeks at summer schools. My parents also won't let me get a part time job during my A-Levels. So.
    I'm screwed.
    Options?
    Work full time over summer and part time during term time?

You can also get a student bank account with an interest free overdraft.

If you're in uni halls, you won't pay bills. You may also find that a room in student halls might be cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Work full time over summer and part time during term time?

You can also get a student bank account with an interest free overdraft.

If you're in uni halls, you won't pay bills. You may also find that a room in student halls might be cheaper.
    Like I said, jobs are out of the question, but thanks anyway. Also, it's nice to know I won't be paying any bills!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.