Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

i was thinking about going on to do an apprenticeship after i have finished my GCSE's in june because you get payed for it and dont have to deal with school and all its problems but i wanted to know a few things.

-Do you get payed in cash?
    -Do you get treated maturely?
    -Is it just like a job?
    -What do you learn in an apprenticeship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabe_H)
    Hi,

i was thinking about going on to do an apprenticeship after i have finished my GCSE's in june because you get payed for it and dont have to deal with school and all its problems but i wanted to know a few things.

-Do you get payed in cash?
    -Do you get treated maturely?
    -Is it just like a job?
    -What do you learn in an apprenticeship?
    Do a degree. Unless you have specific trade you want to go into like plumbing. Apprenticeships pay like £2.30 an hour.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Arthur 284)
    Do a degree. Unless you have specific trade you want to go into like plumbing. Apprenticeships pay like £2.30 an hour.
    TSR just recently sent an email to those on the mailing list entitled, "Why a degree on its own won’t get you a job". It won't, because everyone has one. It's an endless stream of competition where employers barely know who to choose from.

Apprenticeships, depending on what they are, may not pay much per hour initially, but they generally increase the pay per year according to your age. Once you're fully qualified, some apprenticeships pay significantly more than a lot of graduate jobs would for the same amount of study time, or even less!

The best advice I can give is do what you feel is right for you. Picture what you want to be doing, it's not trivial, and make a decision from there.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I'm just going to tag in Apprenticeships Advice, Apprentice extra and West Kent and Ashford College as they should be able to help

ReputationRep:
    Apprenticeships are the opportunity to get paid, whilst you learn. As with any full-time job you will get paid (wages varying according to the employer, but this wage will not be below the national apprenticeship wage. You will also benefit from at least 20 days of paid holiday per year, plus bank holidays). You will, alongside this, study a structured programme which is relevant to the job you're doing and give you the skills you need to do it well. Most of the learning is on-the-job, but some will be in college.

As the previous post suggests, apprenticeships can offer a lot of choices in your eventual career because of the relevant training that you get. A survey has shown that, within construction, you may earn more by doing an apprenticeship than you do by doing a degree (http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-bus...w-kent-161020/). However, whatever you do has to feel right for you and it's important you enjoy what you're studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Arthur 284)
    Not all apprenticeships pay that low, there are many employers that pay higher than that. It depends on what the apprenticeship is about, the location and the company.

You can also do a degree apprenticeship. I know that big companies such as BT, Accenture, BBC and EY are offering degree apprenticeships.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.